Author Topic: Upper jaw surgery and total jaw joint replacement blog  (Read 8874 times)

my wonky face

Upper jaw surgery and total jaw joint replacement blog
« on: March 22, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
A few months ago I had double jaw surgery. Specifically, bilateral total TMJ (temporomandibular joint) replacement as well as a Le Fort I maxillary osteotomy. Basically, that means upper jaw surgery and total jaw joint replacement. I have written about my experience in the hope that it will help anyone going through similar procedures, by giving a bit of a down-to-earth look at what’s involved, and life after the operation. I’ve included tips and advice, to hopefully help to answer some of the many questions you’ll have buzzing around your head. If you are considering, or are about to undergo this kind of surgery have a look at my blog: http://mywonkyface.wordpress.com

lll20

Re: Upper jaw surgery and total jaw joint replacement blog
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
Thank you for sharing. 
One consult I had received mentioned the possibility getting ligaments attached to joints or even possibility of jaw joint replacement. due to degeneration of the condyles. 

How are you doing now?  Are your condyles okay? 

Do you mind sharing your before and after pictures?

my wonky face

Re: Upper jaw surgery and total jaw joint replacement blog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
Hi lll20,

The reason I had the jaw joint replacement was because my condyles had almost completely worn away. So if you have that problem I'm guessing new joints would be best for you?

Its been over 9 months and I'm doing fine. Still don't have complete feeling back in my face, maybe 90% so its easy to forget about. I get small niggles of pain in my joints but its more from if I've been a bit tense or eaten hard/chewy foods. But really I eat anything now. I have no regrets, its the best thing I could have done.

I stupidly didn't take photos of before and after. Pre-surgery I was so conscious of my profile I never let anyone take photos of it. They were always front on with a big smile so you couldn't tell i had a problem. Then after surgery I only took front on photos. Not sure why I didn't do profile... I just didn't think. Silly really. My orthodontist took photos but she has left. I will try and get in contact with her and see if she can email me some before and after pix. If she can I will post them.

Keep me posted on what surgery you have and if you have any more questions do let me know.