Author Topic: Alyssa's Double Jaw Surgery Blog  (Read 7647 times)

alyssaaa6

Alyssa's Double Jaw Surgery Blog
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:45 AM »
Hey guys!

I came across this site, and thought I'd drop my blog if anyone would like to follow it!
I'm currently (August 7) on Day 9 Post-Op
I got a Lefort 1 and a Bilateral Sagittal Split Ramus Osteotomy to correct a 10mm overbite and a gummy smile.

Invitation to all! :)
LifeWithJawSurgery.WordPress.com

pekay

Re: Alyssa's Double Jaw Surgery Blog
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »
You are not wearing traditional braces? what do you have on Invisalign?
Chopsticks > Spoons

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
Hi Alyssa, congratulations on your surgery and good luck with your recovery

Am I correct in thinking that you had no braces except invisalign for straightening?  You are quite lucky with that.  I think most of us (at least anyone over 20 or so) has had previous orthodontic work to correct our overbites/underbites and it all has to be undone with braces and the teeth moved back to their original positions before surgery.

alyssaaa6

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:14 PM »
You are not wearing traditional braces? what do you have on Invisalign?

I'm post-Invisalign, so I'm in the retainers stage!
Here's a post about what I have:
http://lifewithjawsurgery.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/things-just-got-more-real/

I haven't been able to wear my Invisalign retainers after surgery though. The splint is attached to my top teeth, and my lower teeth have to fit into the splint. With the retainers, its too thick. I hope my teeth don't move too much :/

alyssaaa6

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »
Hi Alyssa, congratulations on your surgery and good luck with your recovery

Am I correct in thinking that you had no braces except invisalign for straightening?  You are quite lucky with that.  I think most of us (at least anyone over 20 or so) has had previous orthodontic work to correct our overbites/underbites and it all has to be undone with braces and the teeth moved back to their original positions before surgery.

Thank you so much!! :)
Yes, you are correct! I actually did have traditional braces when I was 15 (I'm 23 now) and my teeth shifted back to their original position. I got Invisalign when I was 20, finished when I was 21, and have been working on Jaw Surgery since!!

pekay

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
Oh, and yeah, I think my face looks a little different. My smile is gonna be completely different. I'm adjusting to it with open arms, I'm ready for the new look!

What drove you to get surgery in the first place?

How is your lower lip?
Chopsticks > Spoons

alyssaaa6

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
What drove you to get surgery in the first place?

How is your lower lip?

I've always had an overbite, and my orthodontist had been suggesting it. It took me a year to decide if I wanted to go through with it or not. I weighed the pros and cons. My self esteem has always been impacted by the overbite and gummy smile. In the end, I decided to go through with it because it would help with my confidence.

Are you talking about my upper lip? With the stitches?

pekay

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
I've always had an overbite, and my orthodontist had been suggesting it. It took me a year to decide if I wanted to go through with it or not. I weighed the pros and cons. My self esteem has always been impacted by the overbite and gummy smile. In the end, I decided to go through with it because it would help with my confidence.

Are you talking about my upper lip? With the stitches?

I see

I mean the numbness in your lower lip, how is it so far? were you would if it's permanent or not?
Chopsticks > Spoons

alyssaaa6

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
I see

I mean the numbness in your lower lip, how is it so far? were you would if it's permanent or not?

Oh! I'm really surprised, my lower lip currently is only 15-20% numb. Right after surgery it was still only 30% numb. I got lucky there.

I'm able to feel everything on my face. No permanent damage that I notice, everything seems to slowly start gaining feeling. My nose (and the sides of it) are most numb, still 85% numb.