Author Topic: Dead right upper lip  (Read 3464 times)

Readytobedone

Dead right upper lip
« on: August 18, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
I am 6.5 weeks post op and my right upper lip is "dead" and my whole face is pulling to the left.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I had my surgery done by a very prominent doctor who said he had not had this result ever.  My ortho says that the buccal nerve is highly regenerative and that concurs with everything else I've read but I am getting more nervous by the day.  I see my surgeon again in 9 days but just am completely stressed.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Dead right upper lip
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
the buccal nerve? what is that? the infraorbital nerve is the one that supplies feeling to the upper lips. what movements did you have?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
By DEAD- do you mean, you dont feel anything at all? You cant move it? Whats going on can you share a bit more? Im almost at 4 months- and I will say certain parts of my face moved 'oddly' for the first few weeks post op- when I'd smile one part would move and another wouldnt, or my whole face would shift to the left or right and at times I looked like a constipated salamander,  it makes no sense.... My smile is still not perfect but its getting better. Update on what you mean by dead in your previous post...
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Readytobedone

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:24 AM »
I have seen buccal and infraorbital used somewhat interchangeably (probably improperly, but what do I know).  By "dead", I mean it is very asymetric.  My whole face pulls to the left when I talk.  When I purse my lips, the left side of my upper lip purses while the right side lies flat.  I can smile symmetrically and I can pull the lip up symetrically on both sides.  So perhaps it is the branch of the nerve that activates the obicularis oris muscle?  I am completely guessing.  My question is: did anyone have one-sided damage in this area of the face after having both jaws done (might be related to swelling,trauma during surgery, sutures)?  Did you eventually recover?  What did you do that helped recovery?  I had a ton of BMP used and my reaction was very poor.  I had extreme swelling (my doctor asked for a photo of me at day 5 to show other patients what "might" happen), and despite being religious about exercising, I can open my mouth very little after over 6 weeks - about 1/2 inch.  I am feeling pretty despondent even though everything I read says that this area is highly regenerative.  I did not anticipate this complication and it is unnerving to hear a famous surgeon say that they have never had this complication before.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:25 AM »
I have seen buccal and infraorbital used somewhat interchangeably (probably improperly, but what do I know).  By "dead", I mean it is very asymetric.  My whole face pulls to the left when I talk.  When I purse my lips, the left side of my upper lip purses while the right side lies flat.  I can smile symmetrically and I can pull the lip up symetrically on both sides.  So perhaps it is the branch of the nerve that activates the obicularis oris muscle?  I am completely guessing.  My question is: did anyone have one-sided damage in this area of the face after having both jaws done (might be related to swelling,trauma during surgery, sutures)?  Did you eventually recover?  What did you do that helped recovery?  I had a ton of BMP used and my reaction was very poor.  I had extreme swelling (my doctor asked for a photo of me at day 5 to show other patients what "might" happen), and despite being religious about exercising, I can open my mouth very little after over 6 weeks - about 1/2 inch.  I am feeling pretty despondent even though everything I read says that this area is highly regenerative.  I did not anticipate this complication and it is unnerving to hear a famous surgeon say that they have never had this complication before.

I don't know how helpful this is but I do think 6.5 weeks is still quite early --3 months is probably more the norm for most issues to resolve. That said, it does sound like therapies and exercise, lymphatic drainage(an alternative therapy) etc. will solve your problems. Might take some time and extra work, but I'm sure you acknowledge it will be worth it.

We can switch this to the private forum, but who was your surgeon? I'm guessing A/G right?