Author Topic: Inward Tilting Teeth  (Read 13789 times)

CAjaw

Inward Tilting Teeth
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:49 PM »
Did anyone else out there try to have there underbite corrected orthodontically when they were younger, resulting in lower front teeth that tilt way inward?
This is the final problem I need to have corrected orthodontically before I can have surgery. The problem is, it is taking FOREVER. I have had braces for a year now with no end in sight. I know it can take time to reverse previous orthodontic work, but more than a year?
Did anyone else have this issue, and if so, how long did it take to correct? I am almost to the point where I want to consult with a new ortho...

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Inward Tilting Teeth
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:42:24 PM »
Did anyone else out there try to have there underbite corrected orthodontically when they were younger, resulting in lower front teeth that tilt way inward?
This is the final problem I need to have corrected orthodontically before I can have surgery. The problem is, it is taking FOREVER. I have had braces for a year now with no end in sight. I know it can take time to reverse previous orthodontic work, but more than a year?
Did anyone else have this issue, and if so, how long did it take to correct? I am almost to the point where I want to consult with a new ortho...

you should consult with another ortho. i don't know the specifics of your problem, but a year sounds unreasonable for what you need to have had done. consult with a couple.

pumukka

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:03:10 PM »
My lower teeth are a tilt a little inward, and my top forward,

I'm not sure to what extent do yours tilt inward but the orthodontists I consulted gave me timeframes of 6months to 1year and a little for everything tops, and I talked about expanding both arches too...

I probably wont start treatment till the end of the year I think, sorry I cant be of more help.

Did you consult with more orthos before starting treatment? I consulted with many and while is not wise to move teeth fast, some just want to have you more time in the chair $$ That's why I prefer the ones that give a set price based on < than X months..

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:52 PM »

I'm not sure to what extent do yours tilt inward but the orthodontists I consulted gave me timeframes of 6months to 1year and a little for everything tops, and I talked about expanding both arches too...

I probably wont start treatment till the end of the year I think, sorry I cant be of more help.

Did you consult with more orthos before starting treatment? I consulted with many and while is not wise to move teeth fast, some just want to have you more time in the chair $$ That's why I prefer the ones that give a set price based on < than X months..

whatever happened to your inquiring about expanding the lower arch?

CAjaw

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:03:14 AM »

Mine quoted me 6mo of pre-surgical ortho with 6mo-1yr post surgical ortho. That seemed very reasonable and she came highly recommended, so I did not consult with anyone else. That was a huge mistake on my part.

pumukka

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
@Lazlo i was gonna update you guys soon, i was trying to find more info, distrax didnt reply, only mommaerts, I will post on my thread soon

@CAjaw Most only wear the braces for 6 months after surgery not up to a year, unless you go with less than ideal position to surgery I think, is posible that maybe you are wearing them more time now, and wont need as many months after surgery, how long till you think the teeth wont be inward?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:18:24 AM by pumukka »

CAjaw

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:40 AM »
@Lazlo i was gonna update you guys soon, i was trying to find more info, distrax didnt reply, only mommaerts, I will post on my thread soon

@CAjaw Most only wear the braces for 6 months after surgery not up to a year, unless you go with less than ideal position to surgery I think, is posible that maybe you are wearing them more time now and less after months after surgery, how long till you think the teeth wont be inward?

I have no idea. I am wearing elastics, which according to my ortho will help my teeth tilt forward, but I have been wearing them since may and all they seem to do is make my underbite worse. My teeth are still as tilted as the day we put the braces on a year ago. My surgeon (Gunson) says tilting my teeth forward is a bracketing issue. I know he is the surgeon and not the ortho, but I can't help but think he is probably right at this point. I'm SO frustrated

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
Isn't Gunson consulting with your ortho?   Maybe you need to switch to another ortho that Dr. Gunson can recommend.

CAjaw

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:25 AM »
Isn't Gunson consulting with your ortho?   Maybe you need to switch to another ortho that Dr. Gunson can recommend.

He is, but I just switched to Gunson about 6wks ago. I'm sort of hoping that under his direction things will move a bit faster, but yes, I will definitely be asking him to suggest a few other ortho's I can consult with.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 07:09:24 PM »
Unless they were tipping back badly I wouldn't bother trying to correct them, You'll just end up with a bunch of loose front teeth. Just make sure that the surgeon doesn't base his advancement solely on the relationship of your lower teeth to the uppers. Get yourself corrected skeletally which is the most important issue for us.
Also I'm of the opinion that 1 year should be long enough to correct your issue, don't be afraid to challenge your Orthodontist, they like are not superhuman and can be pretty stupid at times.
I had to wait 2 years for my surgery in braces, for seemingly no reason. I later found out that it was the first time my Ortho had treated my type of surgical case. Be onto it don't take what they say gospel, don't be afraid to challenge them if you feel something is off.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 04:16:35 AM »
I'm class 2 so my teeth are opposite - lower incisors have been tilted out, uppers tilted in

I was told pre-surgery ortho would take a year.  It's similar movements so can't understand why yours isn't making good progress

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
Unless it's an optical illusion, or maybe that's how they are meant to be, on a lot of underbite "afters" the lower teeth are still tilted backwards...

Anyway, teeth give support to the lips.  Straightened lower teeth may improve the vertical length of the chin and obviate the need for genioplasty for example.

x

• Private
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
Anyway, teeth give support to the lips.  Straightened lower teeth may improve the vertical length of the chin and obviate the need for genioplasty for example.
Woah. That's an excellent point, thanks for bringing that up! It makes sense when you have an everted lower lip.

CAjaw

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Took about a year and a 4mo but my teeth have finally tilted out. Surgery on 12/3!!

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
CAjaw...... Who is doing your surgery?