Author Topic: Excellent Surgeons For Double Jaw Surgery in Florida?  (Read 6192 times)

candle1112

Excellent Surgeons For Double Jaw Surgery in Florida?
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
I live in Florida and need double jaw surgery for a constricted airway and a
very bad openbite. One of my doctors recommended Dr. Jesus Gomez at the
University of Miami. He's done about 200 surgeries and does about 10 jaw
surgeries a year. Did anyone on this board have him as their surgeon or know
anything about him?
Also, can anyone recommend the best MMA/Orthognathic/Jaw surgeon in Florida who
has lots of experience and cares about both function and aesthetics when they do
the surgery.
I've very worried about finding a great doctor since so few doctors do any of
these surgeries in my area.

Kristen

• Private
Re: Excellent Surgeons For Double Jaw Surgery in Florida?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
Dr. Richard Joseph

pekay

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
Dr Richard Joseph - http://www.drrichardjoseph.com/
Dr. Pat Ricalde - http://floridacranio.com/
There is a Harvard educated guy in Miami but I can't remember his name right now
Chopsticks > Spoons

sanddunes

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »
What city in Florida?  If money is not an issue for you than I would go to Dr. Richard Joseph in Jacksonville.

I had a great consult with Dr. Joseph but I could not afford him.  He has a great aesthetic eye and amazing before/after pictures to prove it.

He charges $23,000 for double-jaw surgery, + $3500 for genio (if needed) for a total of $26,500 which you must pay up front before surgery.  Then they refund whatever your insurance reimbursement is.  The initial consultation fee is $150 and there is an additional planning fee of $575.

I had my surgery done at the University of Miami 10 days ago.  I am still in the recovery process, but I did have some complications with my surgery at UM.  My insurance covered my surgery 100% in-network at UM so it was free for me which is why I went there.

I also had consults with 2 other oral surgeons and did not like either one of them.  Dr. Kurt Friedman in Fort Lauderdale also charges a fortune but did not seem anywhere close to as competent as Dr. Joseph just based on the initial consult.  I really did not trust him at all.  Another oral surgeon I consulted with Dr. Giancarlo Bland in Boca Raton also seemed equally as inexperienced with jaw surgery and I suspect he really only does mostly wisdom teeth extractions even though he claims to do orthognathic surgery.  He did not even have dolphin software! 

If you live near Fort Lauderdale I have a really good surgical orthodontist I could recommend.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:14:10 PM by sanddunes »

candle1112

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
Dr Richard Joseph - http://www.drrichardjoseph.com/
Dr. Pat Ricalde - http://floridacranio.com/
There is a Harvard educated guy in Miami but I can't remember his name right now
Did you happen to remember the Harvard surgeon in Miami?

candle1112

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:08:09 AM »
Unfortunately, none of the doctors including the Dr. Joseph (who I would love to go to) take my insurance. Darn it. That's why people with money get better healthcare -- they can afford to go to the best and don't have to worry about the money.
So I'm in search of a great doctor who takes Cigna PPO. I might have to travel or gamble with the University of Miami doctor that was recommended to me by the doctor who did my arthroscopic surgery in my jaw joints.
Another option is for me to travel outside of Florida to someone who will take the insurance. If I know the surgeon is great and takes insurance, it would be worth it for me to travel.
Sanddunes is down in my area and has been helpful, he also had a hard time finding someone around here and ended up in University of Miami but had some challenging experiences there.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
Unfortunately, none of the doctors including the Dr. Joseph (who I would love to go to) take my insurance. Darn it. That's why people with money get better healthcare -- they can afford to go to the best and don't have to worry about the money.
So I'm in search of a great doctor who takes Cigna PPO. I might have to travel or gamble with the University of Miami doctor that was recommended to me by the doctor who did my arthroscopic surgery in my jaw joints.
Another option is for me to travel outside of Florida to someone who will take the insurance. If I know the surgeon is great and takes insurance, it would be worth it for me to travel.
Sanddunes is down in my area and has been helpful, he also had a hard time finding someone around here and ended up in University of Miami but had some challenging experiences there.

After reading Sanddunes experience- poor guy- I would recommend consulting with several surgeons before pulling the trigger... There are probably some great in-network insurance surgeons, but many of us dont know anything about them. I'd recommend saving up and going to someone you feel comfortable with and understands your case.
I am going to agree with the others above ^^^ Dr.Joseph has some of the best before/afters I've seen of *any surgeon* ask in advance what his fees are. Dont short change yourself with jaw surgery, if things go wrong, and sometimes they do, you will be remorseful for years to come. Re-dos are ridiculously expensive and not many surgeons will want to touch you after that. Good luck with your search!
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.