Author Topic: More Female Patient Examples?  (Read 2413 times)

Eroica

More Female Patient Examples?
« on: June 16, 2012, 04:06:18 AM »
I've been browsing orthognathic surgery forums for three years. I'd estimate that female patient examples outnumber males by at least, like... 200%. Probably more.

Any ideas as to why this is? Do more women opt for orthognathic surgery? Or are they simply more inclined to showcase their results on the internet?

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Re: More Female Patient Examples?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:44:20 AM »
i believe its because females are more self-conscious...males are many times unaware of their own situation

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
Interesting subject. I think with many of the female jaw buddies I've encountered they were proposed jaw surgery in their teens, rejected it and are now moving forward in the their twenties, early thirties.

Why does it appear more women have jaw surgery than men? Might be because they are more open to talking about it, sharing etc. It also varies greatly the main factor for having jaw surgery- for some its 100% functional and then aesthetic benefits were a plus, while for others it is mostly aesthetic. Ahhh Im really struggling to find the right words to talk about this !!! In my experience, for men even if your less attractive than the society norm- you can still be very appealing, attractive, by being influential, intelligent, famous, etc etc. I find its harder for women to have much appeal if they are truly unattractive.
Women are pretty tough on one another, add men critics and finally the self, it can be slightly overwhelming. Also from a young age, I've found we've been brainwashed, if thats the word to believe that beauty=happiness, take a look at Disney Movies or other films for example. Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, etc etc, you never see some hagardly ugly chick scoring the prince and living happily ever after. Granted this is just Disney, but I feel women in general are judged more so for their physical appearance than men. We are more self-conscious because the value beauty has in this society, among others, and the link is beauty=happiness.v My two cents.

Anyhow.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Heavyweight

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
Far more women get facial surgery in general, so I assume it's the same for maxillofacial surgery. Too many men believe (as I once did), that a man's looks don't matter much to women, even though studies show men and women place the same importance on looks (which is greater than for personality, wealth, intelligence, and anything else).