Author Topic: TCA peel before or after jaw surgery?  (Read 1665 times)

screwsandplates

• Private
TCA peel before or after jaw surgery?
« on: December 01, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
I have acne scarring and hyperpigmentation. I want to get a TCA peel (i know it wont fix the deep scars) to even out my skintone. Im very fair skinend so it bothers me a lot, since it it so bright against my paleness. Should I wait before or after jaw surgery to do it? I apologize for any spelling errors. Im on my phone.

Tiny

• Private
Re: TCA peel before or after jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
I would recommend a few months of retin-A instead.  Use it once every 4 days to start with until your skin gets used to it, then you can use it more.
TCA is quite a deep peel.
Fraxel or other fractional laser treatment will help scars and some kinds of pigmentation but not post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Doesn't really matter if you do it before or after surgery but TCA does require some time to heal, during which you need to stay well away from the sun and your skin will look a bit of a mess.   So if you're going to take the plunge I would do it at the same time as your surgery as you will be in hiding after that anyway!

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
Whatever you do, go to a competent doctor - do NOT attempt this kind of peel at home!!

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:30:05 AM »
Thanks you guys! My surgery date is fast approaching so I think I'm going to do retain a, if anything. I appreciate the advice :)

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 05:58:30 PM »
Thanks you guys! My surgery date is fast approaching so I think I'm going to do retain a, if anything. I appreciate the advice :)

You can also do mild peels - like a glycolic peel - at home.  Or an AHA or BHA course - try Dr Dennis Gross

Hydroquinone (2% minimum, 4% is better) will also help marks but it's not the nicest stuff.

Use the retin A for at least 3 months and stay out of the sun!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D