Author Topic: What causes some faces to develop nasolabial folds and others to avoid them?  (Read 10196 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Obviously it can't be just a case of who smiles the most. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I really don't have many answers.

I have some theories of my own, however I'd really appreciate if someone could shed light on this. To explain how this is relevant to surgery, well it's moreso I know people with retrognathic mandibles develop deep, premature nasolabial folds. However I see the issues of nasolabial folds involving more than just the mandible. Perhaps also the forward projection of the malars and amount of fat around that part of the face.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Tiny

• Private
Various things including
- fat, as the fold is caused by the sagging of the fat pad.  From what I've seen, if you have more cheek fat you are more prone to these folds.  Hell, you see kids with this all the time
- loss of skin density and elasticity
- bony support...anyone lacking support in the chin or cheeks is going to be more likely to get sagging.  But having strong cheekbones isn't going to stop you getting those folds if you've got no chin (case in point - me)

geijutsu

The maxilla is the bone that mostly prevents nasolabial folds, they give direct support to the area, high cheekbones play a role albeit a smaller one.

Nasolabial folds do not form because of smiling btw, that's a very common misconception.

Optimistic

• I am class I
The maxilla is the bone that mostly prevents nasolabial folds, they give direct support to the area, high cheekbones play a role albeit a smaller one.

Nasolabial folds do not form because of smiling btw, that's a very common misconception.

Sorry for my ignorance, could you explain just how the maxilla is responsible for preventing nasolabial folds? Is there a way to determine how prone one is to them based on X-rays or some other measurement?

Finally, surely smiling and laughing would play a role in their formation. Large facial movements would stretch the skin, thus reducing elasticity, therefore decreasing the overall support?

Interested to see what you have to say.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 06:51:17 AM by Weakjawbrah »
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

Sorry for my ignorance, could you explain just how the maxilla is responsible for preventing nasolabial folds? Is there a way to determine how prone one is to them based on X-rays or some other measurement?

Finally, surely smiling and laughing would play a role in their formation. Large facial movements would stretch the skin, thus reducing elasticity, therefore increasing the overall support?

Interested to see what you have to say.

I don't have any (or they are very faint) and I have an underbite (whether it's due to the maxilla being retruded or lacking vertical height, I am not sure, but I have to strain when smiling for my teeth to show... I think it's retrusion).

EDIT: just caught my reflection on my mobile phone, and there they fooking are...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:02:42 PM by PloskoPlus »