Author Topic: New here, and would love some direction.  (Read 1439 times)

LoveofScotch

New here, and would love some direction.
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
Hi Everyone!

Oh, I have so many questions, for anyone who has the time to answer. I am so confused.

Growing up, I never had any bite issues, but I had some minor jaw problems starting in my early teens. Unfortunately, I had my bicuspids extracted (all 4) when I was about 14, and then had 2 years of braces which made my jaw problems significantly worse. (She was a Harvard trained orthodontist, and said having my bicuspids pulled would help my jaw because it would create more room in my mouth. Whops.) Anyway, at 19 I began treatment with an ALF doctor who put me in the Twin Block. After just 2 weeks my jaw went from clicking on both the left and right every single time I opened my mouth, to not clicking at all. Unfortunately, because the appliance was so impossibly cumbersome, I started clenching at night (which had never been a problem before), and subsequently had horrible headaches and facial pain. The ALF doctor I was working with sent me to another doctor, who sent me to another doctor, who sent me to another.....

The issue is that after the Twin Block corrected the clicking, but started causing other issues, I went from appliance to appliance and now my teeth don't fit together. I have been wearing an appliance (of some sort) on my lower teeth for 9 years. (Holy s**t, I know, I know.) I am super comfortable in the one that I am currently wearing (I don't even know that it is there), but I realize that I am only buying time until I start having issues with my lower teeth and gums.

About 7 years ago, I started meeting with surgeons, but as soon as they started talking about the surgery and having a face full of titanium I basically shut down. I am at the point where I finally realize that I need to do something, and am trying to compile a list of surgeons to meet with. (Prior to this, I consulted with a bunch of "no names" (for lack of a better way to put it), and also with Dr. Eugene Keller at the Mayo.) I am extremely concerned with aesthetics, so besides going to see Arnett/Gunson and Schendel, is there anyone else that I should be scheduling a consult with? I would prefer to stay in the US, but would consider going elsewhere for the right surgeon.

Any feedback would be super appreciated. Thanks!

LoveofScotch

Re: New here, and would love some direction.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the names. I may add Posnick to the list, and also Joseph.

I am located in Minneapolis, Mn. However, I travel an obscene amount for work.

I am 28, and am very aware of the potential issues with both my teeth and gums. Fortunately, so far I have actually not had any problems other than some mild staining on my lower molars, that I will ultimately have taken care of. The appliance is not fixed on my teeth (fortunately), so I am able to take it out 2 or 3 times a day to clean it. Again, I am the first one to admit that I am simply buying time, and things could go from completely fine to pot in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

LoveofScotch

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:53:09 PM »
This is embarrassing, but I have no idea what class I am considered. I actually never remember that being brought up at any of my appointments, but I am having the Mayo send me my medical records from Keller, so maybe that will provide some insight. All of this was so long ago, that I could certainly be remembering incorrectly.

Thanks again.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
Without my appliance, my front teeth meet smack on top of one another (and I now apparently have a mild crossbite as well). From wearing the Twin Block (for even a very short period of time), my mandible swung forward a little bit. It was never recessed to begin with, but now with it slightly more forward than before, my front teeth are right on top of one another. If I am being completely honest, my jaw actually feels better in a tiny bit of an underbite position (nothing substantial enough that anyone else could notice).

LoveofScotch

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:13 PM »
Omlie did my wisdom teeth when I was in my teens. Good guy, thanks for mentioning him.