Author Topic: What surgeries should I get done?  (Read 4220 times)

TB

What surgeries should I get done?
« on: December 03, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »
My mandibular jaw angle is extremely high and my ramus is the size of a pea. I have an underbite and my mid-face is flat. My mouth is too small and my hard palate is narrow.

I have since lost the facial hair but I think it outlines the hilariously high jaw angle I have nicely.

I tried to get the surgery for free but it was rejected as it wasn't serious enough supposedly. I've got at least 20k to save up now I'd assume which is unfortunate. I'll probably be around this forum for a while whilst saving up.

I have a few ideas what I need done, but I'd like to hear some fresh views that would be unaltered by my own opinion. If you post them I would appreciate it massively.

http://i39.tinypic.com/27zem11.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/t5lutl.jpg

Thanks guys

Tiny

• Private
Re: What surgeries should I get done?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 01:56:13 AM »
I need European/UK reccomendations for surgeons to visit.

Mommaerts (Belgium)
Paul Johnson (UK)

There are some others in Italy and Germany

To get the angles you want you will be looking at implants, it's impossible to achieve surgically or with paste.  Mommaerts does custom titanium implants but they're $$$

Ojaw

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
i guess he asks for something like that :

http://puahate.com/showthread.php?p=2274402                                  (take a look at the dramatic change of the jaw - with out the Michael Jackson chin and overall)

I have high angle also. its ok if it's not 90 degrees, but when you have very high angle, like the man in the link, it's just too much. it "hides" a lot of surface of your potential face.

I'm looking also for lateral and vertical enhancement.

I really hope it's possible. I guess it was done years ago, so I don't understand why it's still a big problem :/

some one know something about this procedure?

TB

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
I see that MJ result was performed by Prof Mommaerts too.

I never knew Mommaerts did titanium implants, do you have any before/after results celticcavegirl?

I'm more interested in fixing my flat midface and slight upperbite atm. If I can get my jaw angle square while I'm at it, that would be even better.

Can someone illustrate to me the difference between CCW and linear advancement?

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

I never knew Mommaerts did titanium implants, do you have any before/after results celticcavegirl?

I'm afraid I don't, but that info is straight from the horses mouth.  He said to me himself that he did custom titanium implants (made via 3D printing) and that they were both rather expensive but the only way to get strong, square angles if you're significantly deficient in that area.  Paste can only do so much

geijutsu

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
He's probably using Xilloc for the custom  titanium implants.

I don't know why but having titanium implants doesn't ring very well for me, what if it leaches in your body and cause health problems? I didn't read any kind of published info on that, but that's just my gut feeling about it.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
He's probably using Xilloc for the custom  titanium implants.

I don't know why but having titanium implants doesn't ring very well for me, what if it leaches in your body and cause health problems? I didn't read any kind of published info on that, but that's just my gut feeling about it.

Titanium is used for hip replacements and other joint replacements and many kinds of implants.  It becomes osseointegrated, that's why it's used.  It also has excellent biocompatibility and isn't toxic....off the top of my head from my bioinorganic course I can't think of any enzymes that use titanium,  So don't stress about it

From wikipedia -
Titanium is considered the most biocompatible of all metals due to its ability to withstand attack from bodily fluids, stay inert in the human body, be compatible with bone growth and stay strong and flexible during use. The materials ability to be resistant to body environments under stress, fatigue, and in crevice conditions is due to the protective oxide film that forms naturally in the presence of oxygen. The oxide film is highly adherent, insoluble, and chemically non transportable, preventing reaction from occurring.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »
I've come across a fair few blogs where their hardware had to be removed due to repeated infections around the plates, as if their bodies were rejecting them, sometimes even years post op.

Scary s**t.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »
I've come across a fair few blogs where their hardware had to be removed due to repeated infections around the plates, as if their bodies were rejecting them, sometimes even years post op.

Scary s**t.

That's not really what happens when the body 'rejects' something.  If the immune system rejects a foreign object in the body, it attacks it directly i.e. attacks the foreign object.  A bacterial infection is quite different.   But it wouldn't surprise me if some kind of biofilm might have formed around the plates - that would explain repeated infections.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
That's not really what happens when the body 'rejects' something.  If the immune system rejects a foreign object in the body, it attacks it directly i.e. attacks the foreign object.  A bacterial infection is quite different.   But it wouldn't surprise me if some kind of biofilm might have formed around the plates - that would explain repeated infections.

That sounds plausible, pretty grim though whatever is happening. Elective removal is probably not a bad idea.