Author Topic: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?  (Read 82221 times)

notrain

• Private
Re: Time for a thread dedicated to the Chin Wing Osteotomy?
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2015, 04:29:11 AM »

What type of females though? LOL...

Those with penises under their skirts...

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2015, 05:33:12 AM »

DO we know what he actually had done? Can't work out why his jaw angle looks so different

Wow, are we certain that this is really a chin wing result and not implants? If the former, chin wings are potentially at least twice as amazing as I could ever have imagined! His jaw went from more obtuse than mine to near square.

I do note that the head tilt is quite different in the after, but his gonial angle is still impressive.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2015, 05:43:26 AM »
While chin wings are indeed pretty amazing, I'm almost certain that Sailer does not do them and does implants instead.

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2015, 05:46:43 AM »
While chin wings are indeed pretty amazing, I'm almost certain that Sailer does not do them and does implants instead.

Do you know how much ramus/chin height and overall chin/jaw width a chin wing osteotomy could potentially add? I've heard conflicting reports from various (rather unreliable) sources, everything from 5-14 mm of total width.

jaws

« Reply #154 on: July 09, 2015, 05:57:51 AM »
Wow, are we certain that this is really a chin wing result and not implants? If the former, chin wings are potentially at least twice as amazing as I could ever have imagined! His jaw went from more obtuse than mine to near square.

I do note that the head tilt is quite different in the after, but his gonial angle is still impressive.
NO, THAT IS NOT A CHIN WING RESULT. Sailer doesn't perform them but uses rib cartilage. I linked the first pics to demonstrate how inferior the chin wing is in comparison to what Sailer uses.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #155 on: July 09, 2015, 06:26:15 AM »
There is also the issue of Sailer's pics being heavily photoshopped. Look at the underbite kid's before and take note of the background. It has a texture everywhere, it probably is a wall that's painted blue.

Now look at the after. The texture is still there in the upper left corner, but once you come closer to the patients face it is gone. Someone obviously made the patients skin look smoother and smoothed the wall texture as well by accident.

Then there are alterations to: contrast, brightness, hue and saturation compared to the before. This is all subtly done to make the patient look younger and more full of life in addition to the illusion of smoother skin and darker hair - if you increase contrast you tend to "clip" artifacts/blemishes. Just try it on your TV, if you crank up the contrast to full any bright area will lose all detail within it.

In the afters his patients also never are depicted with a full profile shot but rather at a slight angle - not 3/4 but something between that and full profile. They are also all looking slightly upwards to give more chin and neck definition whereas in the before they are all instructed to tuck their chins and look down.

Unless I could see unaltered photos of his patients I personally would not agree to a surgery with him.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #156 on: July 09, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »
Terribly sorry but what can a chin wing surgery actually achieve in terms of jaw angularity?

The way I understand it the lower mandible is cut horizontally but how could that possibly make the jaw wider or the gonials more flared?

It should provide more vertical length but I don't see how it could mimick jaw implants.

On another note Sailer has some great results and his use of cadaver bone is really interesting. Allegedly they turn into your own bone with time but surely there must be some long term risks- as with other implants, what about infection, sliding out of place" and erosion?

healer

« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:52 AM »
Terribly sorry but what can a chin wing surgery actually achieve in terms of jaw angularity?

The way I understand it the lower mandible is cut horizontally but how could that possibly make the jaw wider or the gonials more flared?

It should provide more vertical length but I don't see how it could mimick jaw implants.

On another note Sailer has some great results and his use of cadaver bone is really interesting. Allegedly they turn into your own bone with time but surely there must be some long term risks- as with other implants, what about infection, sliding out of place" and erosion?

It can provide that horizontal projection by cutting the mandible border on the midline and separating them apart a few milimeters laterally

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2015, 05:40:11 AM »
It can provide that horizontal projection by cutting the mandible border on the midline and separating them apart a few milimeters laterally

Thank you, seems to lack the precision of implants though. I feel like it often gives a sort of "boxy" appearance, at least from what I've seen.

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:51 AM »
Thank you, seems to lack the precision of implants though. I feel like it often gives a sort of "boxy" appearance, at least from what I've seen.
I wonder if one might simply increase by a few mms every dimension of the jaw/chin complex (height as well as width width) and retain the original shape, enlarging the whole package.

I am sufficiently content with the shape of my jaw, so I wouldn't really need any alterations in that department.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
I wonder if one might simply increase by a few mms every dimension of the jaw/chin complex (height as well as width width) and retain the original shape, enlarging the whole package.

I am sufficiently content with the shape of my jaw, so I wouldn't really need any alterations in that department.

Personally I am looking for width rather than height, an augmentation of my existing shape would make me conent as well.

The more one changes and deviates from ones natural "look" the more risk of creating an unbalanced, unnatural looking face. The jaw doesn't exist in a vacuum after all, one template does not fit all.