Author Topic: tads as an alternative to impaction  (Read 11696 times)

falcao

Re: tads as an alternative to impaction
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 01:07:35 AM »
TADs do improve lip posture. Take a look at that ceph based on a real case study that I posted on the previous page and notice where the lower lip was before and where it is after. That is a significant change.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »
This is one of the most powerful cases of TADs being used as an alternative to surgical impaction that I have come across. For all those of you out there with open bites, pay attention and demand answers from your surgeons if TADs could be an alternative to impaction in your case. I can think of 100 advantages of not having to have an impaction and still accomplishing a wonderful result.

Colour me sceptical.  She looks like she had her maxilla advanced.

falcao

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 02:26:38 AM »
I can email you the full text article if you PM-me your email address, but here's the abstract. It's a peer reviewed journal so no place for skepticism. No one would risk their career and lie in a peer-reviewed journal over something like this. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20677972
The photos are not from some before-after web site used for marketing.

The girl refused maxillary surgery because she and her surgeon feared alar flaring. Smart people. And this was back in 2010.
I think her result couldn't be better even with a bi-max.

I've seen many, many impressive cases during my research in the past few weeks.
But unfortunately, as I said before, too many surgeons and orthodontists are old school and do not keep up with new research. If my orthodontist was a bit smarter and cared, if he was ethical and kept up with research for the benefit of his patients, I wouldn't be in this situation now. I have many studies where TADs were used in cases of post-surgical complications as well.

However, an ethical orthodontist is really an oxymoron.   

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »
Thanks, but I don't actually have a gummy smile. My problem is that one side of the lip sits about couple of mm's lower than the other, which lines with roughly with the degree of maxillary cant I have.

I'm currently unaware of any ways to solve this, though have heard TADs sometimes improve lip posture. My cant is likely too minor for upper jaw surgery.

Do you know if there's a way to lip one side of the lip slightly?

Yes, I know.  What I am saying is that botox can lower the lip when smiling.  Raise, I don't know.  But you can get one side lowered with botox
(my lips are asymmetric too, especially when smiling, and I don't have a cant.  I think it's pretty common)

Haiku

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 06:10:23 AM »
Treatment of an adult patient with vertical maxillary excess using miniscrew fixation:

http://www.jaypeejournals.com/eJournals/ShowText.aspx?ID=3380&Type=FREE&TYP=TOP&IN=_eJournals/images/JPLOGO.gif&IID=262&isPDF=YES