Author Topic: Short Ramus  (Read 9004 times)

tdawg

• Private
Short Ramus
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »
What is the surgical movement to correct a short ramus, when there is an open bite? And does anybody know what is the typical cause of a short(vertically) ramus?

My profile looks like the after(maybe slightly worse, it is hard to tell). I feel like his lower jaw is still too recessed. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:17:19 PM by tdawg »

treevernal

• Private
Re: Short Ramus
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 06:10:15 PM »
I, too have a short ramus but it works for my face.  I agree, they did way too large of a genioplasty on that guy when he really needed CCW with a possible small genio.

streo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:37:54 AM »
That kid looks like he had a genioplasty done and nothing else...is that correct?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »
That kid looks like he had a genioplasty done and nothing else...is that correct?

No he also had a bsso I think.

streo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
No he also had a bsso I think.

I don't think he did...the x-rays show no indication of any rigid fixation or any sort of screws in the gonial (?) area.  Just wanted to see if anybody else noticed that or not.  Also, the lips seem to be almost exactly the same as before.  He's definitely had all four wisdom teeth removed...maybe at the same time as the genio?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »
Heres what it says on the page that I found it

"Figure 7. Patient presenting a hyperdivergent high-angle Class II malocclusion with a mild posterior vertical insufficiency, treated in the “classical” fashion. Clinical appearance (A, preoperative profile; and B, postoperative profile). Cephalometric x-rays, C, preoperative, and D, postoperative, for a patient treated by sagittal split osteotomy of the mandibular ramus without elongation of the ramus. We see a significant elongation of the mandibular body on the postoperative film, compared with ramus dimension"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239107015017

streo

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
Heres what it says on the page that I found it

"Figure 7. Patient presenting a hyperdivergent high-angle Class II malocclusion with a mild posterior vertical insufficiency, treated in the “classical” fashion. Clinical appearance (A, preoperative profile; and B, postoperative profile). Cephalometric x-rays, C, preoperative, and D, postoperative, for a patient treated by sagittal split osteotomy of the mandibular ramus without elongation of the ramus. We see a significant elongation of the mandibular body on the postoperative film, compared with ramus dimension"

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278239107015017

That's interesting...no mention of the quite obvious genioplasty.