Author Topic: pre-surgery exercise  (Read 8196 times)

streo

pre-surgery exercise
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:19 PM »
Just joined a crossfit gym in order to get in shape for surgery.  I have an unusually high metabolism which means I'm a very skinny guy, but I'm really liking the change in scenery.  It was that documentary on BDD that encouraged me to go...while I am FAR from having BDD, I have felt pretty self-conscious about being extremely skinny and having an underdeveloped (or "deformed" as some surgeons have pointed out) jaw.  But the kicker is this: nobody gives a flying-F about how you look, so two weeks in the gym and I'm pretty much over myself.  That said, I did manage to make a few new gym friends ;)

Any thoughts on what physical condition one should ideally be in pre-surgery?

neferkitti

• Private
Re: pre-surgery exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
Just joined a crossfit gym in order to get in shape for surgery.  I have an unusually high metabolism which means I'm a very skinny guy, but I'm really liking the change in scenery.  It was that documentary on BDD that encouraged me to go...while I am FAR from having BDD, I have felt pretty self-conscious about being extremely skinny and having an underdeveloped (or "deformed" as some surgeons have pointed out) jaw.  But the kicker is this: nobody gives a flying-F about how you look, so two weeks in the gym and I'm pretty much over myself.  That said, I did manage to make a few new gym friends ;)

Any thoughts on what physical condition one should ideally be in pre-surgery?

I think it's awesome that you've done this, Streo. I like your attitude. To answer your question: as fit as possible. This is major surgery and a well conditioned body will better deal with the physical stress of this in terms of healing, as well as improve blood circulation. I don't know how long you'll be banded/wired shut, but it would also be beneficial if you could put on as much weight as possible now, with lots of high quality fats, proteins and vegetables/fruits. Easier said than done, I know. I, too, have a high metabolism so maintaining my weight was difficult, even though I managed to put on a few pounds beforehand. From what some surgeons are writing, nutrition plays a bigger role than previously thought in recovery. You probably already know this, of course  ;). Good luck!

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
I, too am getting into better shape for surgery.  I've started running with an old coworker and a current coworker convinced me to do a sprint length triathlon at the end of September : p  I'd love to do crossfit but I can't afford it just yet (cross-fit gyms are pricey! )  but I def plan on joining one after I heal from surgery.  Let me know how u like it!

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:32 PM »
I, too am getting into better shape for surgery.  I've started running with an old coworker and a current coworker convinced me to do a sprint length triathlon at the end of September : p  I'd love to do crossfit but I can't afford it just yet (cross-fit gyms are pricey! )  but I def plan on joining one after I heal from surgery.  Let me know how u like it!

Awesome! I love that you guys are doing this. When is your surgery again? Try to go easy on the triathlon training if it's close to surgery. These things can be over-taxing on the body. 

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:42 AM »
Good point nef!  I'm def not trying to win, just complete the race tho so no pressure on me haha.  My surgery date is January 16th and the triathlon is Sep 30th.  Just got back from a trail run in balboa and man I gotta lot of work to do!

stevek216

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
I was actually in really good shape before surgery, I cycled and ran every day.  Cardio exercise is very valuable for recovery, I think.  Mine went more quickly than usual and I think that the in-shapeness was behind it, at least partially.

It's a good idea to be in shape no matter what though!

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
you guys should check your waking temp (before getting out of bed)

it should be like a 98.0-98.2ish

and then check every 3 hours 3x after that.  like without moving eating or drinking water, if it fluctuates a lot your adrenal system is wacked out, if your temps are always lowish you have hypothyroidism. 
more infro @ link
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

womens temps differ a lot dependign on your cycle but i would guess that a mans are very stable
you don't want a high body temp, it could mean your adrenal system is stressed out or your body is fighting off an infection

sometimes ill feell sweaty or really cold and check my body temp and it's totally normal.  i think its sex hormones, not necessarily anything abnormal

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »
Good point nef!  I'm def not trying to win, just complete the race tho so no pressure on me haha.  My surgery date is January 16th and the triathlon is Sep 30th.  Just got back from a trail run in balboa and man I gotta lot of work to do!

Oh, good. This should give your body plenty of time to recuperate. This sprint triathlon should get you in pretty good shape. No need for cross fit! Are your training using the race route?

streo

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »
Hey Nef, how long must one wait to go back to the gym?  I'm going to be seeing the surgeon in a few days, but I wanted to see if I could gain any insight from your personal experience (obviously everyone is different).

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Hey Nef, how long must one wait to go back to the gym?  I'm going to be seeing the surgeon in a few days, but I wanted to see if I could gain any insight from your personal experience (obviously everyone is different).

My surgeon never gave me guidance on heavy exercise but, then, he didn't give me much in the way of info on a lot of things. I did light exercise early on, such as walking, light gardening, etc. I think it best to avoid lifting or any other activity that might jolt the jaw (running, upper body weights, yoga). I don't think I really started exercising until 8-9 weeks out, and even then I eased into it. It would be interesting to hear what your doctor has to say about this. Hope your workouts are going well. Are you gaining weight?

streo

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »
Hope your workouts are going well. Are you gaining weight?

Workouts are going well, I'm losing fat and gaining muscle.  Been taking one of those mass gaining supplements because my metabolism is naturally through the roof.  I've also been eating at least 4 meals per day with a target of 5.  I'm very sad to say that in my class I'm dead last...in everything.  There are women half my size lifting twice as much weight (including a pregnant woman!).

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
Workouts are going well, I'm losing fat and gaining muscle.  Been taking one of those mass gaining supplements because my metabolism is naturally through the roof.  I've also been eating at least 4 meals per day with a target of 5.  I'm very sad to say that in my class I'm dead last...in everything.  There are women half my size lifting twice as much weight (including a pregnant woman!).

Ha ha! No need to gauge your progress by others in class, especially the pregnant ones. I have a family member at full-term and she tends to go overboard. She tries to lift way too much. Her motivation seems to stem from a fear of gaining weight. Probably not uncommon. I think she's overdoing it but won't tell her that now. She's a little scary at the moment  :D. The idea is to build and condition. There will be a lot of downtime after surgery, so you'll likely have to rebuild some later, but it should be easier than starting from scratch.

Keep those calories up!

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 06:05:41 PM »
I think the most frustrating part of this whole process is that I know any gains in fitness (muscle mass and endurance) made before surgery are going to be lost post-surgery until I can start working out again 6 months post-op.  My surgery is in Jan, so by summertime ill finally be able to start getting in shape again but the confidence I will have gained in my face I will have lost in my post surgical, "skinny-fat" body. LOL.  Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is, I just wanted to rant.  I'm having a hard time being motivated in my workouts knowing that any gains will be lost during recovery.  I guess you just have to look at the bigger picture?

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I think the most frustrating part of this whole process is that I know any gains in fitness (muscle mass and endurance) made before surgery are going to be lost post-surgery until I can start working out again 6 months post-op.  My surgery is in Jan, so by summertime ill finally be able to start getting in shape again but the confidence I will have gained in my face I will have lost in my post surgical, "skinny-fat" body. LOL.  Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is, I just wanted to rant.  I'm having a hard time being motivated in my workouts knowing that any gains will be lost during recovery.  I guess you just have to look at the bigger picture?

Rant away  :). Those gains will help you with recovery, and you'll likely not lose all your mass during that downtime unless your calories are drastically down. Plus, hard to have motivation when it's so damn hot out, right?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
Truth!  Though most in the rest of the country would probably laugh at our "heat" LOL.