Author Topic: pre-surgery exercise  (Read 8190 times)

neferkitti

• Private
Re: pre-surgery exercise
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
Truth!  Though most in the rest of the country would probably laugh at our "heat" LOL.

So true! But, I can't stand it. Want to move to Seattle so that I can complain about the rain. lol.

How's your triathlon training coming along?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 06:29:39 PM »
Not too bad, been running with a friend but need to practice swimming.  Luckily a coworker is going to bring me as guest to his gym next week to use the pool :)

Been trying to eat better too, fewer sweets. Tough though as I have a major sweet tooth.

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »
Not too bad, been running with a friend but need to practice swimming.  Luckily a coworker is going to bring me as guest to his gym next week to use the pool :)

Been trying to eat better too, fewer sweets. Tough though as I have a major sweet tooth.

Do they have the race course up? It would be great to swim the route a few times just to gauge where you are. Good that you've cut the sweets. So hard! gelatos are my weakness. I so love  :D. Are you making up the calories with healthier foods?

Jack

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
I think the most frustrating part of this whole process is that I know any gains in fitness (muscle mass and endurance) made before surgery are going to be lost post-surgery until I can start working out again 6 months post-op.  My surgery is in Jan, so by summertime ill finally be able to start getting in shape again but the confidence I will have gained in my face I will have lost in my post surgical, "skinny-fat" body. LOL.  Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is, I just wanted to rant.  I'm having a hard time being motivated in my workouts knowing that any gains will be lost during recovery.  I guess you just have to look at the bigger picture?

Not true, your body has muscle memory. So whatever gains you make and sustain will return to you in a much, much shorter period of time once you start working out. Also, the healthier you are the faster your recovery will go and the faster you'll be able to start working out again. It's a no lose situation. Where on earth are you getting the 6 months post-op  before your start working out timeline?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »
Do they have the race course up? It would be great to swim the route a few times just to gauge where you are. Good that you've cut the sweets. So hard! gelatos are my weakness. I so love  :D. Are you making up the calories with healthier foods?

Good idea!  Ill have to check out the race course its a bay swim.  Yeah, I need to eat more veggies haha. :)

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Not true, your body has muscle memory. So whatever gains you make and sustain will return to you in a much, much shorter period of time once you start working out. Also, the healthier you are the faster your recovery will go and the faster you'll be able to start working out again. It's a no lose situation. Where on earth are you getting the 6 months post-op  before your start working out timeline?

True, and good to hear.  Hopefully it wont take too long to get back into shape.  Arnetts office told me I have to wait 6 months, esp for weight training since it causes you to clench your jaws and can slow healing.  I've noticed A&G tend to be a lot more strict with these things than other docs tho.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
I think the most frustrating part of this whole process is that I know any gains in fitness (muscle mass and endurance) made before surgery are going to be lost post-surgery until I can start working out again 6 months post-op.  My surgery is in Jan, so by summertime ill finally be able to start getting in shape again but the confidence I will have gained in my face I will have lost in my post surgical, "skinny-fat" body. LOL.  Anyway, not sure what the point of this post is, I just wanted to rant.  I'm having a hard time being motivated in my workouts knowing that any gains will be lost during recovery.  I guess you just have to look at the bigger picture?

I am having the exact same problem.  I used to workout everyday, sometimes twice a day.  I'm just choosing to eat healthy and workout to maintain.  It is really hard to stay motivated because I'm sure I'll lose 20 to 30 lbs during recovery.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
I am having the exact same problem.  I used to workout everyday, sometimes twice a day.  I'm just choosing to eat healthy and workout to maintain.  It is really hard to stay motivated because I'm sure I'll lose 20 to 30 lbs during recovery.

Any surgery date updates?  Will you get in before the end of the year?

CK

• Private
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 09:25:46 PM »

i was given the go to do push ups/sit ups and light running as long as i don't clench my jaw. you can probably maintain some muscle tone, im at two months right now. people tend to revert back to their original form after the surgery at some point. so if you are fit now, you'll be back eventually. i think i lost more weight than normal because i'm just not as hungry. stomach shrinking from liquid diet...

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »
Any surgery date updates?  Will you get in before the end of the year?

No, not yet. Models aren't requested until my 6 month mark mid-September. My orthodontist basically said that I'm ready now because I've had braces twice before. Unless there are any curve balls from the surgeon, it should happen in November or December.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 09:52:02 PM »
No, not yet. Models aren't requested until my 6 month mark mid-September. My orthodontist basically said that I'm ready now because I've had braces twice before. Unless there are any curve balls from the surgeon, it should happen in November or December.

Good to hear its moving along for you :)

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
i was given the go to do push ups/sit ups and light running as long as i don't clench my jaw. you can probably maintain some muscle tone, im at two months right now. people tend to revert back to their original form after the surgery at some point. so if you are fit now, you'll be back eventually. i think i lost more weight than normal because i'm just not as hungry. stomach shrinking from liquid diet...

So you were given the go-ahead for pushups at 1 month postop?

CK

• Private
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
So you were given the go-ahead for pushups at 1 month postop?

8 weeks. and sit ups/trainer/elliptical. i personally would avoid pavement jogging because the surface isn't completely even and i can feel the slight bumps in my face. it's hard to explain but you might experience it later. like your bones moving up and down.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:18 PM »
8 weeks. and sit ups/trainer/elliptical. i personally would avoid pavement jogging because the surface isn't completely even and i can feel the slight bumps in my face. it's hard to explain but you might experience it later. like your bones moving up and down.

Yikes, sounds creepy.  But good to hear about the exercises.

streo

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
My biggest struggle is breathing.  I'm always dead last and my insides start burning.  I get that pinch on the side of my gut as well after a good run.  I know I'm going to lose pretty much everything, but I will gain a better airway, and that is going to make such a major difference.  Aside from that, I've been on the muscle gain/lose yo-yo cycle forever and I keep blaming it on my airway.  I really hope I can break this cycle once and for all.