Author Topic: ENT or Maxfac?  (Read 2074 times)

streo

ENT or Maxfac?
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
I know this has been covered elsewhere.  What do you guys think?

neferkitti

• Private
Re: ENT or Maxfac?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:02:51 PM »
I know this has been covered elsewhere.  What do you guys think?

They're usually both, no? I would hope so, at least.

streo

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »
They're usually both, no? I would hope so, at least.

So what prompted this post is that I have a lot of family that are docs, and they are all very negative towards having a non-MD breaking my face and fixing things.  There are some damn interesting threads out there as well between medical/dental students and professionals debating this.  Their discussion points are pretty interesting:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=80546

What struck me the most is that ENT docs have more of an emphasis on aesthetics.  Indeed, a childhood friend of mine who is now an anesthesiologist cautioned me against having an OMFS doing this and having an ENT/plastic-surgeon do this for me.  I've gone against his advice for no real reason other than I thought he was just being biased.  After reading a few of the threads such as the one above, I'm pretty confident I've made the right choice as most ENTs don't really touch BSSO anymore, although they still perform them.

LOL-EDIT!  Just found this:

http://youtu.be/KetrjEX2t3c

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:09 AM »

So what prompted this post is that I have a lot of family that are docs, and they are all very negative towards having a non-MD breaking my face and fixing things.  There are some damn interesting threads out there as well between medical/dental students and professionals debating this.  Their discussion points are pretty interesting:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=80546

I love this forum! The dds section is soooo interesting. Wonder how your MD family members view craniofacial MD DDS? In my experience, I have found these surgeons the most aesthetically picky, at least in consults.

What struck me the most is that ENT docs have more of an emphasis on aesthetics.  Indeed, a childhood friend of mine who is now an anesthesiologist cautioned me against having an OMFS doing this and having an ENT/plastic-surgeon do this for me.  I've gone against his advice for no real reason other than I thought he was just being biased.  After reading a few of the threads such as the one above, I'm pretty confident I've made the right choice as most ENTs don't really touch BSSO anymore, although they still perform them.

Interesting, with a exception of a handful of strictly OMFS (extraction, implants, etc.), I have found most under my insurance are both ENT and OMFS. I suppose that's why I assumed that this was typical. So, your surgeon is not an MD?

streo

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 05:58:40 AM »
Nef, my family members are just biased towards MDs in general: if they have those two letters after their name, the other letters really don't matter.  It's pretty silly of them to think in such a way, but I think it's part of their mental "conditioning".  Upon my anesthesiologist friend's recommendation I did see a specific ENT/plastic doc and he referred me to a DDS to get a second opinion.  I didn't like the plastic's before/after anyway, even though he's the chair of the otolaryngology/plastics department at a highly reputable university in Illinois (that really limits the choices - HINT!).