Author Topic: Income and attractiveness  (Read 18478 times)

x

• Private
Re: Income and attractiveness
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:52 PM »
also actually good looking people are f**king rare as hell. I mean just walk around any restaurant or whatever and out of two-hundred people you might see one, maybe who could even be good looking enough to be on a sitcom, leave alone model or idealized in any way. It's an unrealistic standard.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
How many attractive people over 25 years old have you seen working at Walmart or working at a grocery store.  No offense to the people that work there...   I think attractive people often have more emotional intelligence and know how to influence others better than people that are well below average looking.

I only skimmed it, but here is a study investigating the topic.
http://www.stajkovic.biz/EvMBA/Home_files/Smart,%20attractive,%20confident.pdf
It's not an end all be all, but I do think all other things being equal attractive people have a distinct advantage over unattractive people. 

I have to laugh at the mention of attractive homeless people.   One attractive homeless guy (drug addict) was spotted in 2012, and there were many articles on him and people reaching out to help him get back on his feet. 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/26/ridiculously-photogenic-homeless-guy_n_2007113.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223761/Meet-ridiculously-photogenic-homeless-guy-picture-shared-40-000-times-Facebook.html

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
Didn't say it was. I would say he's above average and has a good, clean appearance, like what an average looking guy can aspire to.

also there are people on this site willing to cut up their faces without a second thought, whereas I (much like you) am hesitant to get even the smallest procedure so let's not get dramatic, we all have things we'd like to change about ourselves

he's above average

CK

• Private
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 05:06:09 PM »
How many attractive people over 25 years old have you seen working at Walmart or working at a grocery store.  No offense to the people that work there...   I think attractive people often have more emotional intelligence and know how to influence others better than people that are well below average looking.

less to do with looks and more to do with class. i dont see a terrible amount of people over 25 working at grocery stores other than managers and the occasional clerk. mostly because of the economy. that's just where i live though.

im guessing people who look a certain way have a different experience as they develop, and that can create a lot of positive attributes. and yeah, it isn't terribly difficult to manipulate people with your looks without even realizing it. i dont think attractiveness by itself is correlated with more $$$, but it just provides more opportunities to take advantage of. it still depends on the person and their ambitions.

overbiter

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 07:09:08 AM »
No, Michael Cera is ugly, IMO.  And not because he's dorky, I went to a uni full of dorks/geeks and it doesn't make you unattractive.  He looks like a chicken.

I don't think Michael Cera is ugly, although he does look somewhat like a bird. I'm sure he can't be all that ugly in real life otherwise he would never be able to hold his own on screen. 'Ugly' actors aren't genuinely ugly, they are just not perfect looking. They stand out from the others because everyone else is extremely good looking. It gives them personality.

CK

• Private
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »
No, Michael Cera is ugly, IMO.  And not because he's dorky, I went to a uni full of dorks/geeks and it doesn't make you unattractive.  He looks like a chicken.

LOL michael cera is attractive. this forum is getting ridiculous.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
michael cera looks quite nice.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
michael cera looks quite nice.

Second this, I think he's good looking.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »
Second this, I think he's good looking.

Maybe cos I have a receded lower jaw, I really find it unattractive.  Every single one of my boyfriends has had a strong lower jaw.

Things are really relative.  America is a lot more looks-based than Europe but not nearly as bad as places like South Korea and parts of South America.   Jaw surgery that we consider quite extreme and brutal is really common in SK and is advertised all over the metro etc.  The UAE is really much more shallow and visual than the UK.  Girls get an updo or blowdry and full evening makeup just to go to the mall.  I feel about 10x more attractive when I come back to London.  But I felt 10x fatter in NYC than I do in Dubai.

I remember reading a paper or article about beauty standards and how they affect us.  Basically everyone has way higher standards now as we are bombarded with images of the most beautiful people in the world.   Whereas before, in the paleolithic, most tribes were no larger than 150, so the beauty standard was much lower as the most good looking 10 people out of 6.5 billion are infinitely more attractive that the best 10 out of 150.

An ugly guy can approach women in the same way as a good looking guy and will get labelled as a creep, whereas a good looking guy will not.  That said, women are judged way way more on their looks than men.  Guys can easily make up for ugliness with gym and $$ and personality.   You see stunning girls with ugly guys so much more frequently the than the other way around.  I would hazard a guess that there is more correlation between income and attractiveness for women than for men.

breakkate

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 02:49:39 PM »
Just to jump in, can you just outrightly divide the world into good looking, average or ugly people? Seems a little closed minded IMO.

For example, I adore Alan Rickman, think he's gorgeous. I know many many people who disagree with me. Is he ugly? Or good looking? Surely this is all subjective?!

I don't really understand the point being made here!

x

• Private
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Just to jump in, can you just outrightly divide the world into good looking, average or ugly people? Seems a little closed minded IMO.

For example, I adore Alan Rickman, think he's gorgeous. I know many many people who disagree with me. Is he ugly? Or good looking? Surely this is all subjective?!

I don't really understand the point being made here!
he is an actor, you'd be hard pressed to name 5 well-known actors who are a legit eyesore. there is a difference between objectively ugly and personal preference

anyone who calls an actor ugly is likely using hyperbole and that actor just isn't his or her type

breakkate

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
Ok fair enough, but that's just your opinion though isn't it? People might genuinely find him ugly though? Being an actor doesn't always equal being attractive..

Isn't type what makes you attractive or not to the individual? Am I being naive to think that you can't split the world into 3 categories??

x

• Private
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 03:11:09 PM »
Ok fair enough, but that's just your opinion though isn't it? People might genuinely find him ugly though? Being an actor doesn't always equal being attractive..

Isn't type what makes you attractive or not to the individual? Am I being naive to think that you can't split the world into 3 categories??
Categories don't actually exist no, we just create them cause we like things neat & tidy.

A healthy development matters more than being a certain type. A treacher collins guy will seriously struggle to find a more normally developed person who would be willing to date him, to use an extreme example. and this would carry down to smaller differences as well, like how much estrogen or testosterone a person is exposed to while growing

Attraction has a very objective, biological basis... With some leeway for environmental influence.

breakkate

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
Ok I understand your point.
Just makes me bit depressed about the state of the world that someone could take a glance at me and place me in the ugly column and practically judge me without even knowing me! I like to be an optimist and think that people aren't like that though!

x

• Private
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
Ok I understand your point.
Just makes me bit depressed about the state of the world that someone could take a glance at me and place me in the ugly column and practically judge me without even knowing me! I like to be an optimist and think that people aren't like that though!
my .02 about that is if someone finds you superficially ugly on first impression

a) nothing that you say will ever change their lack of attraction to you

and

b) you're better off finding someone who can appreciate your outer (and inner) beauty

when you're average-looking to a person, then I think your personality has the ability to win them over