Author Topic: Nerve Repair Surgery?  (Read 13066 times)

Heavyweight

Nerve Repair Surgery?
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:43:47 AM »
Has anyone here looked into nerve repair surgery? Someone on JSB mentioned having it done to fix a severed inferior alveolar nerve: http://www.jawsurgeryblog.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3385

It seems that everyone who has lower jaw surgery ends up with a degree of permanent numbness in their lower lip and chin. I'm sure some people aren't bothered by it, but it does seem like something that would affect quality of life (especially if it's entire lower face, which happened to someone I know). To me, it makes sense to try to fight this unfortunate side effect of jaw surgery rather than just accept it, especially if insurance will help cover the nerve repair operation.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Nerve Repair Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:20:06 PM »
bump

CK

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
well, i think the younger you are the less likely you'll have nerve damage. i think there is a strong chance you'll have less sensation, but right now i have most feeling in my lower jaw/chin - no numb spots, but i can't really compare it to how it was before because i dont remember. it's not so blatant to a point where i can tell a difference. the lower lip on the other hand is still pins and needles.

Hellojoe

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
well, i think the younger you are the less likely you'll have nerve damage. i think there is a strong chance you'll have less sensation, but right now i have most feeling in my lower jaw/chin - no numb spots, but i can't really compare it to how it was before because i dont remember. it's not so blatant to a point where i can tell a difference. the lower lip on the other hand is still pins and needles.

How exactly is it not to have any feeling in your lower lip? Do you have problems doing certain movements with it because of it? How different from before is kissing for an example?

CK

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
How exactly is it not to have any feeling in your lower lip? Do you have problems doing certain movements with it because of it? How different from before is kissing for an example?

it's not that different, it's just when you push against it with something other than your finger it's very tingly. and the sides aren't even sensation-wise. guess it takes up to a year before full nerve damage? im pretty young so the chances of permanent damage is unlikely. what i have now is definitely livable.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
nerves are very temperamental...i wouldn't bet on the surgery fixing but that's just my opinion

numbness is annoying but at least it doesnt "hurt"

neferkitti

• Private
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
I wonder what happened to Timi from this JSB thread. I've emailed him a couple of times but never got a reply  :-\.

M

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »

I read acunpuncture soon after surgery helps.

M

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »

I don't remember exactly which blog/forum it was. but I read acunpuncture treatments soon after surgery

help in gaining the feeling back.

x

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 04:38:21 PM »
bump

Will surgeons inform you ahead of time of where you IAN and LN are located and whether their location puts you at higher risk for numbness?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »
I've read it somewhere as well that acupuncture does help in nerve regeneration. I'll be considering it soon if my nerves dont start behaving shortly.
CK what was the progression in nerve regeneration for you like- were you completely numb post op or how did it work with you?

We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

CK

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »
I've read it somewhere as well that acupuncture does help in nerve regeneration. I'll be considering it soon if my nerves dont start behaving shortly.
CK what was the progression in nerve regeneration for you like- were you completely numb post op or how did it work with you?

hmm. i might have written about this in my original thread but i cant recall precise details. numbness is kind of an ambiguous term, i was never 100% numb. the problem is different levels of numbness and temperatures on the face. like my cheeks felt frozen and hard for awhile, my lower lip stiff while my upper lip just...different. chin completely numb for quite awhile.

i still have a loss of sensation in my chin but i dont care about that. some nerve issues on one half of my lower lip, which is annoying but hopefully will go away eventually.

x

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 07:50:24 PM »

How far along are you in recovery again and where are you experiencing numbness?

From how I understand it,

Tingling + pins and needles feel = good

Dead numb = bad

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:18:29 PM »
hmm. i might have written about this in my original thread but i cant recall precise details. numbness is kind of an ambiguous term, i was never 100% numb. the problem is different levels of numbness and temperatures on the face. like my cheeks felt frozen and hard for awhile, my lower lip stiff while my upper lip just...different. chin completely numb for quite awhile.

i still have a loss of sensation in my chin but i dont care about that. some nerve issues on one half of my lower lip, which is annoying but hopefully will go away eventually.

Well its good that you were never completely numb, thats usually a good sign. When did you feel the varying levels of numbness begin to fade to normalcy? Have you considered any treatment or acupuncture to recover the nerves or can you live with it as is? Im a little over 3 weeks and feel burning when I touch my chin but its mostly numb and there is some light tingling/burning on my lower lip, hope Im not screwed.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

CK

• Private
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Well its good that you were never completely numb, thats usually a good sign. When did you feel the varying levels of numbness begin to fade to normalcy? Have you considered any treatment or acupuncture to recover the nerves or can you live with it as is? Im a little over 3 weeks and feel burning when I touch my chin but its mostly numb and there is some light tingling/burning on my lower lip, hope Im not screwed.

maybe 3 or 4 months ago, but my muscles are still sore and i find that more uncomfortable than the numbness. temperature is the first sensation to return so hot/cold is normal. i had coldness in my cheeks.