Author Topic: Are you religious?  (Read 4373 times)

x

• Private
Are you religious?
« on: November 16, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
I'm about as atheist as they come. I say if God exists, he has a very cruel sense of humor.

x

• Private
Re: Are you religious?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »
I was that way for awhile.. Atheism is just illogical, you don't even wanna get me started lol.. Many people are undecided/searching
That's what this thread is for, I mean I don't see how atheism is illogical but belief in a God is logical (though you haven't exactly expounded on how you view this 'God' of yours)

jawless

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
Agnosticism is the only logical belief system. It means you are not shutting yourself off to any possibility.

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
Agnosticism is the only logical belief system. It means you are not shutting yourself off to any possibility.
Not necessarily, skepticism isn't inherently wrong. I mean just because it's possible that the Earth is inhabited by invisible dinosaurs, or that Santa Clause exists, doesn't mean I'm going to go through life believing it, or even considering it a possibility.

Heavyweight

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
God, religion, spirituality, mysticism, astrology, etc. all fall under the same category to me: complete bulls**t.

x

• Private
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
God, religion, spirituality, mysticism, astrology, etc. all fall under the same category to me: complete bulls**t.
Yeah I've always looked at all of those things as humans having an inflated sense of self-importance in a vast Universe that doesn't give a s**t about them.

Heavyweight

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:57:21 PM »
Yeah I've always looked at all of those things as humans having an inflated sense of self-importance in a vast Universe that doesn't give a s**t about them.

I view them more as primitive explanations for life and the universe. It's no coincidence that religious and spiritual beliefs have steadily declined as we've accumulated more scientific knowledge.

x

• Private
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »
I view them more as primitive explanations for life and the universe. It's no coincidence that religious and spiritual beliefs have steadily declined as we've accumulated more scientific knowledge.
Definitely. At the same time though I think a lot of people cling to these old beliefs out of fear of the mystery of death. It's hard to accept that you die and rot in the ground like every other animal, so they need a way to cope with it.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
Atheism in most cases is simply the lack of belief, not an active disbelief(making the claim that God does not exist with certainty). I do not believe in God because I dont have a reason to. I dont see how that is illogical.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
Definitely. At the same time though I think a lot of people cling to these old beliefs out of fear of the mystery of death. It's hard to accept that you die and rot in the ground like every other animal, so they need a way to cope with it.

It's deeper than that imo. I think people can accept that they will die. What they cannot accept is their lack of purpose while they are living. That is what imo makes them turn to religion.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Science is simply a process of impartially testing hypothesis. It is flawed and not perfect but theories backed in science have a lot more depth to them than religious explanations. And I would not say that science and spirituality are mutually exclusive. Although Science imo does offer enough to refute some religious doctrines(for example the age of the planet). That doesnt mean that science is saying God cannot exist.