Author Topic: Soft tissue adaptation to maxfac surgery  (Read 1734 times)

PloskoPlus

Soft tissue adaptation to maxfac surgery
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
I think it's pretty much accepted that soft tissue adaptation to maxillofacial surgery is a crap shoot.  The planning software helps, but cannot be relied upon.  I'm wondering if having a low body fat % will help:
a) make it easier for the surgeon to plan the surgery
b) make it easier to perform the surgery
c) allow the skin to "shrink-wrap" around the the bones better
d) all of the above.

I went from about 77 kg to 69 kg in the last 4 months.  My (albeit meagre) cheekbones have revealed themselves for the first time ever.  My chin doesn't look as pointy as before because the face is narrower (and I'm now considering the surgeon's advice that maybe I should leave it well alone).  OTOH, my retruded maxilla is there in all it's glory.  In profile: concave face, absolutely huge nose.  (But at least I have something resembling an S-curve!).  It also took some time for the skin to follow the fat loss.  It looked almost saggy at first.  But then I'm 36 (although always told that I look younger, no wrinkles).

But then I often hear that one should go into surgery with a few extra pounds.  I asked my surgeon about this and he emphatically said "No".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:16:31 AM by PloskoPlus »

notrain

• Private
Re: Soft tissue adaptation to maxfac surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
a) might be a valid concern

b) -> the operation is carried out from inside the oral cavity. there is no fat to cut through.

c) -> there is so much swelling after the surgery, i doubt this matters

however, i could imagine being in really great cardiovascular shape could be advantageous, don't you think? an in shape body should be able to metabolize the anesthetics and all the chemicals from the pain killers much better.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
b) -> the operation is carried out from inside the oral cavity. there is no fat to cut through.
This I know.  But maybe facial fat is a hindrance with maxillary osteotomies (probably not).

however, i could imagine being in really great cardiovascular shape could be advantageous, don't you think? an in shape body should be able to metabolize the anesthetics and all the chemicals from the pain killers much better.
My resting heart rate is down to about 60 bpm.  (Used to be 80!)  I had an ambiguous ECG a couple of years ago.  A couple of months ago I had a heart ultrasound (rest, check the heart, run on a treadmill check, check the heart).  All was normal.  The cardiologist said they have a lot of false alarm ECGs.

ticktickatick

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
What's so hard about chugging milkshakes?

Nasal congestion and digestive discomfort? A lot of people do not respond well to dairy. It's not just the lactose, the casein protein in dairy can be a factor as well, so lactose-free often doesn't solve it.