Author Topic: Who did this surgery?  (Read 5705 times)

TB

Who did this surgery?
« on: April 01, 2014, 04:11:28 PM »

He got a chin-wing and a lefort 1 as far as I know.

What I'm wondering is how does his gonial angle change so much? His chin seemed to protrude fine so I'm wondering why he went for a chin-wing.

I thought a chin-wing simply cut the bottom of the mandible and moved it forward.

The predicament he had before is similar to mine; recessed midface and high angled jaw with a well protruded chin.

earl25

Re: Who did this surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:02:07 PM »

He got a chin-wing and a lefort 1 as far as I know.

What I'm wondering is how does his gonial angle change so much? His chin seemed to protrude fine so I'm wondering why he went for a chin-wing.

I thought a chin-wing simply cut the bottom of the mandible and moved it forward.

The predicament he had before is similar to mine; recessed midface and high angled jaw with a well protruded chin.

looks like he had a bsso also

Tiny

• Private
Re: Who did this surgery?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
I'm guessing it was Klinik Pyramide in Zurich, Switzerland (Dr Albino Triaca + Dr Daniel Brusco).  This is pretty much the best place in Europe for surgery and they are the experts for the chin wing procedure.  They even do stuff like Wilckodontics and malar osteotomy as well as releasing papers on DO.  If I could afford it, this is where I would be going

The gonial angle change is impressive, in this case I guess the chin wing osteotomy goes all the way to the back of the mandible.  They would have rotated the back section downwards (CCW of a section rather than a jaw), that's how you get the change in gonial angle.  They are lengthening the back of the ramus but it is a split osteotomy, not full thickness (I think, at least it looks that way in the diagrams)

He may have had a BSSO but the result could be from a cleverly done chin wing.  My guess is that they took the section, took out some vertical height at the front, moved it slightly backwards and rotated the posterior down (CCW)

I reckon we are going to see more and more surgeons training in this procedure.  Give it 5 years and it will be much more commonly done