Author Topic: Entire jaw surgery plans = DECIMATED. What now? Ortho claims I'm Class I.  (Read 2247 times)

Optimistic

• I am class I
Let me lay out what he has said:
- I'm structurally a Class I, open bite was pretty much entirely the result of over-erupted third molars which have since been intruded.
- Bite now edge to edge, and dealing with that will be the next biggest problem for him, let alone decompensation
- Further auto-rotation could occur as treatment continues, and that I've already had some (seems true as gonial angles have improved).
- Jaw surgery now IMPOSSIBLE without either extractions and/or upper jaw surgery to allow for further rotation of mandible. Both of which he says are unethical and knows of no surgeon who would perform that.
- My cant is approximately 2mm

---

So there you have it. I don't know what to do from here. Is it all over?

I guess if what he says is true I'll simply need to get a Chin Wing and try and deal with the massive indent between the lower lip and chin some other way.

I don't know if a SG or Chin wing can even give me what I want it do though... I'll PM some people pics and get their advice I suppose.

Any advice on this would be great. I really have no clue what to do now.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Gregor Samsa

Seek the opinion of one or two really good jaw surgeons before you give up. I've lost count of how many times I've been told wrong things by doctors.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Seek the opinion of one or two really good jaw surgeons before you give up. I've lost count of how many times I've been told wrong things by doctors.

I think this is something I need to consult orthodontists on, to be honest. As it pertains entirely to my teeth, and whether or not orthodontic decompensation is possible.

I was thinking of seeking out other opinions from orthodontists just because I feel my current ortho and his surgeon are very 'conservative' and pretty much think I'm insane. The surgeon said I was 'too good looking' for surgery, that nothing was wrong with my face, and at best a small sliding genio would be in order. The ortho constantly tells me similar things, that there is no need to have surgery, and shouldn't worry about it.

I think they'd have a heart attack if they knew about some of the work euro maxfac surgeons are performing purely for aesthetic reasons.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

notrain

• Private
Let me lay out what he has said:
- I'm structurally a Class I, open bite was pretty much entirely the result of over-erupted third molars which have since been intruded.

Is this referring to your skeletal base? if so, then you could still look at jaw angle implants or a chin wing.

Optimistic

• I am class I
Is this referring to your skeletal base? if so, then you could still look at jaw angle implants or a chin wing.

I believe that is referring to my skeletal base. I'm looking into chin wing. Just unsure how that will affect the fold between the lower lip and chin without a BSSO.

notrain

• Private
if the fold would be unaesthetic (i.e. too deep) they use a bone graft from the hip to fill it.

Optimistic

• I am class I
if the fold would be unaesthetic (i.e. too deep) they use a bone graft from the hip to fill it.

This may sound stupid, but where would they graft? When I feel behind the fold it goes basically right down to the chin, meaning there's nothing to graft onto as far as I'm aware.

Optimistic

• I am class I