Author Topic: Is it possible to have an alar cinch done after surgery?  (Read 1392 times)

Notctr

Is it possible to have an alar cinch done after surgery?
« on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
Would that bring the nose to a more similar shape as how it was pre op?

Post bimax

• Private
Re: Is it possible to have an alar cinch done after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »
The cinch is meant to hold the soft tissue during the op. Getting a cinch afterwards would be pointless.

The procedure you’re looking for would be the Weir incision/alar resection

Notctr

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »
The cinch is meant to hold the soft tissue during the op. Getting a cinch afterwards would be pointless.

The procedure you’re looking for would be the Weir incision/alar resection

It's strange because my surgeon suggested having it done now since I'm very unsatisfied with my nose post-op. I'm not quite sure why he didn't use an alar cinch during the surgery and give how my nose has changed, it makes me a bit angry.

I'm just unsure about having the procedure now since it seems quite invasive and I don't want to be cut open again, also I'm not sure if it's going to be a temporary solution.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 05:24:46 PM »
It's strange because my surgeon suggested having it done now since I'm very unsatisfied with my nose post-op. I'm not quite sure why he didn't use an alar cinch during the surgery and give how my nose has changed, it makes me a bit angry.

I'm just unsure about having the procedure now since it seems quite invasive and I don't want to be cut open again, also I'm not sure if it's going to be a temporary solution.

This bit of information is often conveniently left out by surgeons.

Again, the cinch is a PREVENTATIVE measure, so it's no use getting one now.  My surgeon also neglected to perform one.

You want to look into an alar resection rhinoplasty to reduce nostril flare.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:00 PM »
If your surgeon didn't do it in the first place, then just find a good RHINO doctor. You shouldn't be deferring to your maxfax guy for a rhino.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:58:58 PM »
This bit of information is often conveniently left out by surgeons.

Again, the cinch is a PREVENTATIVE measure, so it's no use getting one now.  My surgeon also neglected to perform one.

You want to look into an alar resection rhinoplasty to reduce nostril flare.
If it's any consolation, when I mentioned alar cinches to a top rhino surgeon, he told me "I've never seen one work".

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 05:50:24 AM »
If it's any consolation, when I mentioned alar cinches to a top rhino surgeon, he told me "I've never seen one work".

I've seen mixed opinions on it, but at least some of the evidence supports their efficacy.  I'm not sure what the consensus is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5083686/

Notctr

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »

If it's true, it is a consolation. Was that comment related to alar cinches done with LeFort 1? I'm now confused because of my surgeon mentioning doing one post op.

Notctr

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:13:52 AM »
If your surgeon didn't do it in the first place, then just find a good RHINO doctor. You shouldn't be deferring to your maxfax guy for a rhino.

Yes, I'll wait until I'm one year post op and consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon. It's just that I really don't like the alar base reduction procedure because of the scarring and nostril size reduction. I'm just pissed because I never had a problem with my nose before this and it was one of my best features.

I still have hopes it'll get better or tolerable with time since that's what's been happening as the swelling goes down.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:41:08 PM »
Yes, I'll wait until I'm one year post op and consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon. It's just that I really don't like the alar base reduction procedure because of the scarring and nostril size reduction. I'm just pissed because I never had a problem with my nose before this and it was one of my best features.

I still have hopes it'll get better or tolerable with time since that's what's been happening as the swelling goes down.

I associate the alar cinch with it being done DURING a maxfax surgery when the incision (inside the mouth) for displacing the maxilla is OPEN.

I guess nothing stops your maxfax from re-opening that incision to to do an alar cinch. But do you really want to re-open that incision inside the mouth to get a suture that-by the way-has a potential risk of eventually cheese wiring through the tissues it tightens up.

Scars to bring in the ALARS to REDUCE THE NASAL BASE are well hidden in the crease. Being outside, they are at lower risk of infection than those inside the mouth.

BOTH the alar cinch and alar resection/reduction are alar base REDUCTION techniques. The former is aimed at mitigating widening that comes along with maxillary advancement as in making the wideneing less than it would be without it and usually done along with the subperiosteal dissection that is part and parcel of the surgery they are doing on the maxilla at the TIME the incision is OPEN for them to do it. So, the former is a maxfax technique usually done DURING the initial surgery as a 'preventative' measure to tackle EXCESS widening. The latter is a rhino technique to bring in the alar rims when they are too wide for the face.

BOTH reduce nostril size. When the alar base is made wider via max. advancement, the nose holes get wider too.

Not sure where you come up with the 'idea' or assumption that ONLY the alar base reduction procedure (resection of the alar rims and bringing them inward) reduces nostril size but the alar cinch doesn't. Only to say that IF you DON'T want any nostril size reduction, then DON'T get EITHER.

Neither are likely to make your nose look 'just like it did' before you got any maxfax surgery. Although a rhino can improve your nose and address complaints of excess widening, it's unlikely that your nose will look 'just like' it did before any maxfax surgery because EVEN IF they gave the SAME nose, it would look different on the face because the face proportions have changed due to the bimax surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.