Author Topic: Wider upper jaw = more likely to bite inside of cheek while chewing??  (Read 2116 times)

treevernal

• Private
At the orthodontist the other day, they showed me my models with the upper jaw segmented into 3 pieces so I could see how my bite will look post-surgically.  I think I am going to be very happy; it is widening a lot and my smile will be broader.  My only conern though, is that it will be more common that I bite the inside of my cheeks while chewing.  It's not pleasant as I'm sure most people know. 

For those of you who had the upper jaw widened, do you find it difficult to avoid biting the inside of your cheeks or does this not happen? 

Thanks!

CK

• Private
Re: Wider upper jaw = more likely to bite inside of cheek while chewing??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:36:20 PM »
why would you bite the inside of your cheeks? i imagine whatever bone grafting is done above the cheeks - im guessing you are referring to the lower side cheeks close to the mouth? - will ensure the soft tissue does not cross into your bite. it doesnt seem like an ideal outcome and might even impede with the recovery, especially the hydroxyappatite which is quite sensitive early on to simply things like bubbling your mouth.

i dont bite into my cheek anymore unless i try hard lol.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
You know when you sometimes accidentally bite the inside of your mouth while chewing?  My concern is that this will happen more frequently with the teeth now closer to the soft tissue inside your mouth on either side.

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
You know when you sometimes accidentally bite the inside of your mouth while chewing?  My concern is that this will happen more frequently with the teeth now closer to the soft tissue inside your mouth on either side.

how do you know it will be closer? the soft tissue, for me at least, is *tighter* and the cheeks aren't as fat/chubby as they used to be. this is either due to weight loss or the grafting, im not entirely sure. i would ask the office about this.

a correct bite will be....correct. if you are biting into your cheeks on a regular basis there is something wrong with your bite. could be inked to mouth-breathing or hyperactive swallowing when eating maybe?

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
It actually almost never happens to me now, I just thought it may happen a lot once my bite is wider.  I guess it's not happening to you though so that's a good sign.