Author Topic: I didn't follow my doctor's orders and ate a lot of solid food this week.  (Read 1681 times)

MrRochester

I now have asymmetric swelling and a lump on the right side of my jaw. Is this a hematoma? It feels like a piece of my jaw fell off and is now sitting on the bottom of a hanging piece of skin. Will it go away? It was kind of stupid because my surgeon told me not to be chewing food, but I stopped following the liquid diet literally less than 48 hours after surgery and ate a can of sardines. Since then, I've been eating pretty everything I want except really tough stuff like potato chips or steaks. I've recovered the ability to eat solid foods much faster than I should have by doing this, but I fear I might have  damaged something in the process.  I also lifted weights today which might have been a terrible idea, but I was scared I was losing too much muscle mass. I actually noticed the lump tonight, so it might have been the bodybuilding today that really screwed me over.

Here is a picture. I have clear skin IRL, but it looks monstrous because I can't get an even shave. The glue from the tape they put on my face is still stuck to it and won't come off no matter what! The glue is trapping hair and shaving cream and keeping them stuck to my face  :-[

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:50:52 PM by MrRochester »

sean89

Why would lifting weights have caused this? Was you instructed not to do this?

And how long was you told to stay away from hard foods for?

You should probably contact your surgeon, and not eat solid foods in the meantime.

LoveofScotch

Hi MrRochester,

Glad you made it through surgery! When was your surgery date?

My goodness, please both call to notify your surgeon AND go into the office so he/she can take a look. (No one will be able to tell anything from the picture you posted.)

In the mean time, please follow the eating instructions you were given AND lay off the weights!

ticktickatick

A lot of post-op booklets say things like "light cardio after 2 weeks is acceptable, but weight lifting is not acceptable until 4-6 weeks". The reasoning I have heard for this is 1) risk of weights hitting the face and 2) weight lifting causes a lot of clenching in the jaw area

Optimistic

• I am class I
Lmao you fool. Why would you start lifting weights? You won't lose any muscle mass for many weeks after stopping.

I can't believe someone would spend all this time and money on surgery just to put it all in jeopardy by not following basic instructions for just a few weeks,
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

applejuice

A lot of post-op booklets say things like "light cardio after 2 weeks is acceptable, but weight lifting is not acceptable until 4-6 weeks". The reasoning I have heard for this is 1) risk of weights hitting the face and 2) weight lifting causes a lot of clenching in the jaw area

And 3) high blood pressure that can cause bursted blood vessels!!!!

It's beyond me how you can spend so much time on research to get the surgery right and then jeopardize the result like a retard.