Author Topic: Opinions on my post op ceph please  (Read 2545 times)

Ben

Opinions on my post op ceph please
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:12:37 AM »
I think I'm still recessed on both jaws. Surgeon only advanced my upper jaw 2mm. I have had x4 bicuspid extractions upper and lower jaw. I think the bottom extraction spaces need to be opened and the upper jaw then advanced accordingly probably 10mm. Would this be too extreme? How should I be looking at this?
Thanks

backward lowerjaw

• Private
Re: Opinions on my post op ceph please
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 01:26:06 AM »
have you any photographs or xrays?

Ben

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:30:23 AM »
Yeah I have them on my computer, but no way I can find them to put them on line. Even though I know where they are. So I'm trying to delete this thread until I can crack the code.
Wow that was a misson..done

[attachment deleted by admin]

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:12:29 AM »
Just looking at the lat ceph, how are the back molars aligned up evenly with you being a class 3, did the ortho tell you to bite with you jaw pushed back? Let my know what Dr Birbe says.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
The ortho didn't seem to know. When I bit together in the months immediately after surgery I would retracted my lower jaw as far as I could then close my mouth but even so my lower teeth would hit the back of my upper front teeth and force my jaw back further than its range of motion. When the orthodontist started to put power chains on my front uppers I lost it and 3 months post op had the braces removed since I new she was making my bite worse not listening to me and just didn't seem to realise what was going on with my bite or what had happened in the surgery. I had retainers fitted which made it even worse again since the slight forward pressure on my lower teeth from  the wire and the same in the other direction on the top from the plate acted to increase the underbite. I hope this makes sense.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:19:58 AM »
Sorry I will try to explain better. I can only make a tiny overbite if my lower jaw is forced backwards. This is compounded by my maxilla being impacted by the surgery especially toward the back of my bite. This means I have to bite quite deeply to get molar contact and most of the bite pressure is in a horizontal direction. The lower incisors are forced into the back of my upper incisors since my jaw joint is being forced out of its range of motion.
When I had the upper removable retainer wire putting slight  backward pressure on the upper incisors and the opposite from the fixed retainer wire on the bottom, I could not make a bite.
The bite I have now relies on movement of the teeth, the uppers forward and the lowers inward, retainers did not allow this since they locked the teeth into position.

backward lowerjaw

• Private
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:37:49 AM »
If you relax your lower jaw and bite do your back molars line up evenly or are the lower back molars in front of the top back molars?

Basically the maxilla should be more forward but the way the teeth are ligned up you have to force your lower jaw back to make contact to force a class 1 relationship, is that correct?

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
Hi Backward lowerjaw yeah my lower back molars are in front of the uppers in a relaxed state and that is even with my lower incisors heavily compensating my bite. I'm class 3 after going through all of this and it isn't down to relapse, but simply due to the fact that the surgeon didn't advance my jaw enough. He said the operation went very well and the advancement that was planned for was achieved.
The anger I feel is off the scale at both the surgeon and the orthodontist involved. The orthodontist did not decompensated my bite at all in fact she did the opposite so now nearly 2 years in braces prior to surgery only to make my situation worse.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 05:00:41 PM »
Yes my bite was edge to edge to right after surgery in a relaxed state. I was never advanced sufficiently. It is a bit 'better' now because my teeth have been slow compensating more and more. The slight pressure, just the wire touching my teeth, was enough to cause it to become even worse. The impaction of my jaw due to the surgical procedure means I have to bite very deep which means my mandible naturally wants to come forward even more as I get closer to biting but it can't because the front teeth are in the way.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
I'm still concerned that I may loose teeth very early/prematurely due to the inharmonious nature of my occlusion.
Is this the kind of x-ray you want to see?
http://imageshack.com/a/img834/8327/ibnqe.jpg
I think the roots all look ok on here, but it was over 1 year ago now.
There are black triangles between some of my teeth, the orthodontist yanked the crap out of my them to prepare for the operation.