Author Topic: Difficulty finding post surgical info from senior members  (Read 10188 times)

lcmn

• Private
Difficulty finding post surgical info from senior members
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
I would love to find a quick summary of some of the senior member's information on their post surgical results.  Maybe someone can direct me to where I can find this info?

Things such as: 1)Surgeon name 2)Reason for surgery 3) General thumbs up or down on results 4) Any notable complications like chronic pain, joint problems, relapse, deformity.

Thank you!

A little about me:  Age 33 in San Diego, currently considering jaw surgery for sleep apnea caused by a small airway due to recessed jaw--not severely so.  I've consulted with Dr Kasey Li, Dr. Grant McGann and several ENT's in San Diego.  Considering consult with Dr. Gunson.  I am totally afraid of the risks of chronic pain and facial changes associated with maxilla movement.

nomoregummy

Re: Difficulty finding post surgical info from senior members
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
Hi, I was wondering how your consult with Dr. Kasey Li went?  I was considering having a consult with him as well, and was wondering where he stands as far as the function/aesthetics question goes?  I would really appreciate any insight you could provide, thanks!

lcmn

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
Dr. Li is regarded as one of the top authorities on maxillofacial surgery so I would suggest consulting with him.  He is nice, helpful and very skilled.  He is also a board certified plastic surgeon (he's the only maxillofaical surgeon in the world who is).

However, in regard to your question, he seems mostly concerned with making the airway as big as possible and less so with aesthetics.  He has a standard approach to advance the jaw at least 12mm for sleep apnea patients, and counter clockwise rotation of the maxilla to reduce the amount of forward maxilla movement needed.  He'll even do MMA's for patients without using orthodontics first.

He showed me photos of two MMA patients and I thought they looked really bad.  They had that chimp look (which can result from big forward movement of the maxilla with counter clockwise rotation) and pig looking noses (widened base and big nostrils).

To give you a comparison, he suggested 12mm jaw advancement with no orthodontics, while another doctor proposed 8mm with use of orthodontics.  My face definitely would not look good with 12mm advancement.

pekay

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »
What does MMA stand for?

He is also a board certified plastic surgeon (he's the only maxillofaical surgeon in the world who is).

Did he tell you this himself? There are dozens of board certified plastic and oral surgeons in the US alone.
Chopsticks > Spoons

lcmn

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I believe I should have said that he is the only one who is triple certified as an ENT, oral maxillofacial surgeon and plastic surgeon. 

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 02:38:49 AM »
What does MMA stand for?

Mixed Martial Arts.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »
Mixed Martial Arts.
Maxillo-Mandibular Advancement maybe?

notrain

• Private
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 04:23:18 AM »
What does MMA stand for?

MaxilloMandibularAdvancement

pekay

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »
I believe I should have said that he is the only one who is triple certified as an ENT, oral maxillofacial surgeon and plastic surgeon.

oh ok, that makes sense.

Mixed Martial Arts.

made me laugh  :)

Maxillo-Mandibular Advancement maybe?

so basically bi-max

Chopsticks > Spoons

nola

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
...my surgeon was double certified and i still got butchered.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
Nola, would you be prepared to name and shame your butcher?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
The alar-cinch stitch is suppose to help with the widening of the nose and then they can shave down the anterior nasal spine to help try and prevent the nose from upturning.  Thats what my surgeon is doing.  Ill see if it helps lol. M surgeon already told me he doesnt want my nose to upturn cuz its already up a little, so hopefully he'll do his best there.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
The surgeon i had consult with also mentioned about alar-cinch preventing the widening effect. Did he tell you how many mm he wants to move your jaw forward?

He said he wants to move my upper 4 or 5 mm and I dont know about my lower yet. Im also having an impaction done too, but I dont know how much.  Possibly 3mm. I know he doesnt want to do too much because of the aging affect.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Yea he says he doesnt want to advance it too much, and im perfectly fine with that.

Impaction is just reducing the vertical length of the upper jaw. I have excess incisor show at rest and a really gummy smile.  That was one of the main reasons I wanted surgery,  and also the strain it puta on my mouth not being able to close my mouth naturally. Are you just having upper jaw surgery?

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
I dont really know if theres a name for the downward movement. Im guessing it just an inferior movement, but I do know they tend to more unstable and susceptible to relapse.