Author Topic: Help with mandibular plane angle  (Read 7371 times)

ticktickatick

Re: Help with mandibular plane angle
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 07:52:22 AM »
Aesthetically your profile looks perfect to me.

I would kill to have been born with a jaw like that.

BlueShark7

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 01:59:09 AM »
Aesthetically your profile looks perfect to me.

I would kill to have been born with a jaw like that.

thank you, that's really kind. I had extensive orthodontic work as a teenager because I had a massive overbite and overjet that my parents were told would likely require surgery initially but after braces came off etc, orthodontist said my jaw grew well enough with twin block appliances etc. I've never quite gotten over how it felt to have a messed up jaw as a kid/teenager and in my mind I would have preferred if they would have just operated back then. I still feel like my profile is weak, I mean, I'm grateful for the improvement from when I was a kid, but I still feel like it could be better. My breathing is an issue, as is jaw pain on one side, so if I could improve all of that via surgery, then I would. I get that there are people heaps worse off, but if I could get a net benefit from a BSSO, even if it's not the same magnitude of benefit as someone worse off, then I would still be for it.

lcmn

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 02:38:16 PM »
It was a cone beam CT, same kind of thing?

Thanks Dan. Out of interest, would a sliding genio help airway at all? Appearance? I know I'm at risk of having a chin that's too pointy and a deep labiomental fold if I go that route, but if bimax would give me a gummy smile and a BSSO on its own is out of the question without extractions, I'm not left with many options.

I'm fairly sure that one of the surgeon's I saw said that they can do a sliding genio with tongue advancement to increase airway size, but it may not enough to cure sleep apnea.  Something to ask about for sure.  I have the same problem with small airway and sleep apnea.