Author Topic: jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/pics  (Read 10140 times)

LoveofScotch

Re: jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/pics
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
I forgot something. Just to be clear, that price would only include the reopening of extraction spaces, braces, and potentially the splint(s) to stabilize your joints. I'm sure you know this, but that would NOT include the price of the implants or crowns.

isco92

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind, and someone at the office should have told you this, is that you can go through this entire process and still end up needing surgery.

The $20,000 you were quoted sounds a little high, but maybe that includes the splints to stabilize your joints, too. If it includes that splints/appliances/whatever that price is probably about right.

I have to go through this process of re-open spaces in order to create enough space to do the surgery, I am prepared for that. The implans is going to recreate the initially overjet I had. Thats the whole point.

The pricetag includes crown and everything, except surgery. As for doing this
f you really really want it. And trust the orthodontics is doing a good job. I think its an easy choice. I can only speak for myself though I am sure that this will improve my life quality with atleast 30%

Why are you considering this? and how did you get the impression that so many things can go wrong?

LoveofScotch

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
Alright, got it. Sorry, I misunderstood a few things.

Yes, I'm still considering this. Having my bicuspids pulled (4) made my once nonexistent jaw joints problems not so good. My thought was to try and undo that process. I got the impression that things can go really wrong because that's just how stuff like this works. I don't mean that in a bad way or in a negative way; it's just the reality of stuff like this. Hell, it's the reality of medical treatment in general. I don't think it means don't do it, I would just expect some degree of issue. You just hope that the benefit is bigger than the cost (cost/benefit, risk/reward).

It's a fact that moving teeth that much (to reopen extraction spaces or whatever) is really hard on both your teeth and gums. It's a fact that braces alone are hard on the teeth and gums of adults. It's also true that implants and crowns don't last forever, and that implants can fail. Also, sometimes implants need bone grafting done, too.

Again, I don't mean this in a bad way. Like I mentioned, this is something I'm still considering as I really believe it makes a ton of sense for the right patient. I'm just a realist, and fully expect s**t to happen, and prefer to see that s**t coming before it gets to me and I'm left surprised. That's all.

Cheers! Best of luck with whatever you choose!

Alue

• Private
Re: jaw surgery or genioplasty? w/ pics
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
one more thing.

My orthodontist say that because they extracted my upper premolars
the lower jaw didnt have enough space to grow/slide out out. Now when they re-open the spaces he said the jaw may slide out but he wasn't sure about that because its been such a long time (10 years)

I'm curious about this.  My case is a little different from yours but I'm wondering if the same thing happened (extractions + headgear) prevented my mandible from growing out as much.  I can jut out my lower jaw a lot but I cannot pull it backwards much at all from where I normally bite down.  Can you pull your lower jaw back further from where it normally seats in your bite?

Juliaaa

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
wow I am in the same situation but you already said yes to the surgery.. and I am still thinking so much about it... My situation is very similar to  yours, only that I have an extra large awful chin implant.. that balances my face out but look so awful when I smile. (check my post)
by the way, the oral surgeons I have consulted told me that it was hard in case to recreate the space for the premolar s and use implants.. how are you doing with that???

isco92

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »
wow I am in the same situation but you already said yes to the surgery.. and I am still thinking so much about it... My situation is very similar to  yours, only that I have an extra large awful chin implant.. that balances my face out but look so awful when I smile. (check my post)
by the way, the oral surgeons I have consulted told me that it was hard in case to recreate the space for the premolar s and use implants.. how are you doing with that???

welcome to the club, this sucks. luckily we are in 2014 and can fix it

What do you mean he said its hard go recreate the space?
If you undo previous ortho treatment and get the teeth the same position they were w/implants
the overjet will automaticly come back no? There should be enough space to do a bsso then

Im gonna get more opinions before
I go through with it, just too be sure.