General Category > General Chat

I think I might have developed BDD

(1/3) > >>

x:
aka Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I just went through the list of symptoms and they pretty much describe me to a T. Anyone else have this and what have you done about it?

It's pretty embarrassing, not something I'd want to bring up with people I know personally.

x:
Ok I took a look at OCD and unless I'm reading into things the way I want to, I would say this describes me pretty adequately: Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions.[6] M

Lazlo:

--- Quote from: Euphoria on January 08, 2013, 10:23:31 PM ---Ok I took a look at OCD and unless I'm reading into things the way I want to, I would say this describes me pretty adequately: Its sufferers commonly share personality traits such as high attention to detail, avoidance of risk, careful planning, exaggerated sense of responsibility and a tendency to take time in making decisions.[6] M

--- End quote ---

Euphoria, if I can put my two cents into this. I honestly think most of us who are going through this whole jaw surgery process have or have developed what could be called BDD and OCD. That said, I would not be too alarmed. I actually think theres an unfortunate tendency to "pathologize" what are very real concerns and in fact putting labels on oneself such as "bdd" or whatever can lead to a feeling of increased helplessness and make the problem worse (the same I think is true for many cases of "depression" which then immediately lead to being prescribed meds when simpler and healthier treatments such as exercise and relaxation techniques may have been more beneficial). Technically, I probably too currently suffer from many of the symptoms of BDD and OCD, but I've decided to kind of will myself out of this by just leading a more regulated lifestyle and managing my thoughts(which I think is the most imp. thing, and yes, meditation/relaxation is teaching me that one's thoughts are not necessarily tracking anything REAL, but that they can be managed). So I just wanted to give you a kind of alternate perspective from the clinical one, and I do think you can pull yourself out of this.

trigeminalneuralgia:
I personally would take a break from all of this..reading the forums and anything jaw related on the Internet.   It really messes with your head after awhile and you need a break!

x:

--- Quote from: Lazlo on January 09, 2013, 02:56:59 AM ---Euphoria, if I can put my two cents into this. I honestly think most of us who are going through this whole jaw surgery process have or have developed what could be called BDD and OCD. That said, I would not be too alarmed. I actually think theres an unfortunate tendency to "pathologize" what are very real concerns and in fact putting labels on oneself such as "bdd" or whatever can lead to a feeling of increased helplessness and make the problem worse (the same I think is true for many cases of "depression" which then immediately lead to being prescribed meds when simpler and healthier treatments such as exercise and relaxation techniques may have been more beneficial). Technically, I probably too currently suffer from many of the symptoms of BDD and OCD, but I've decided to kind of will myself out of this by just leading a more regulated lifestyle and managing my thoughts(which I think is the most imp. thing, and yes, meditation/relaxation is teaching me that one's thoughts are not necessarily tracking anything REAL, but that they can be managed). So I just wanted to give you a kind of alternate perspective from the clinical one, and I do think you can pull yourself out of this.

--- End quote ---
I hear what you're saying man, and I feel like that's what I've attempted to do for the last 5 years (minus the meditation), but I don't have the willpower or guidance or whatever to completely alter a mindset. If you have any links or suggestions though, I'd check them out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version