Author Topic: Newbie looking for input and how to decide on surgery  (Read 7009 times)

Modigliani

• Private
Re: Newbie looking for input and how to decide on surgery
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »
That's really an inappropriate comment. I asked a valid question that did not deserve a sarcastic answer. Every year, local magazines publish a list of the "best" doctors, chosen by an undisclosed number of patients who may have been diagnoaed and treated for nothing more than a cold. After seeing several "top rated" doctors myself, I'm skeptical of ratings.

Actually, my comment was entirely appropriate.
As someone who was badly botched by a so called, 'top', world famous surgeon, you're not the only one who is sceptical.

Drop the attitude and you might find people more willing to engage.

Autumn12

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
Reassess. You're the one with the attitude. I asked a simple question and can't get an answer that isn't tainted with disdain.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 04:39:27 PM »
Come back and tell me to 'reassess' when you've been here longer than 3 minutes.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »
Since I joined here I have watched how two extremely well-known surgeons have had their reputations destroyed due to a number of botched cases that came to light through this forum. Before then they were considered to be two of the best surgeons in the world. How did they get a reputation like that even though they most likely don't deserve it? It's hard to say, but it's usually a case of them being well-known amongst other surgeons due to speaking at conferences and getting a lot of their work published. Another major factor is also that people tend to recommend surgeons that they've heard are good without actually having any experience with them themselves. so that sort of thing tends to snowball. Arnett and Gunson are two surgeons that have probably benefited the most from this although I can't say if they deserve their reputation or not.

The best thing you can do is to consult with as many surgeons as possible before you decide on one. That way you'll be in a better position to determine if the surgery plan makes sense or not.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 05:54:15 PM »
Obviously you need to have a surgeon who is competent enough to do the surgery without f**king up and leaving you with a unpleasant complication, but for the ultimate outcome IMO, the surgery plan is somewhat more important than the technical skill of the surgeon.   Even with the best surgeon in the world, if the plan is s**tty then the outcome is going to be sub par; I'd rather have a surgeon with a 10/10 plan and 8/10 technical skill than vice versa

This is part of the issue with Mommaerts - I don't doubt his technical skill as a surgeon (when he's not putting HA over screws or letting his trainees do the surgery) - but his plans tend to suck, or at least they did for many of us
A&G are both great technically, and produce some of the best surgical plans which is why they have such a great reputation.  Dr Joseph also seems great but he doesn't take out of state patients as I understand

This is why it's important to get at least 3 opinions.  The two plans I've received differ significantly and to me one is far superior to the other.  Once you have X rays you can post your pics here, the collective input of this board can give better insight than some surgical consults

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
I would definitely agree with what Tiny said. Another thing to point out is that some procedures are not done by all surgeons. I don't think Arnett and Gunson do chin wings for example so if you need one then they would obviously not be right for you.

Autumn12

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »
Since I joined here I have watched how two extremely well-known surgeons have had their reputations destroyed due to a number of botched cases that came to light through this forum.
You're not referring to Arnett and Gunson as the two surgeons who had their reps ruined? Who are those surgeons or how can I find out who they are?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
You're not referring to Arnett and Gunson as the two surgeons who had their reps ruined? Who are those surgeons or how can I find out who they are?

No it was not those two. One of the the two surgeons I mentioned is Maurice Mommaerts and he has botched the surgeries of several members on this forum along with coming up with really s**tty surgery plans for those who only consulted with him. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the other one but I can tell you that he has his practice in the US.

Autumn12

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
No it was not those two. One of the the two surgeons I mentioned is Maurice Mommaerts and he has botched the surgeries of several members on this forum along with coming up with really s**tty surgery plans for those who only consulted with him. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the other one but I can tell you that he has his practice in the US.

Well if anyone can tell me who the other surgeon is, I would greatly appreciate it. I've had a LOT of medical problems during my lifetime, not including the jaw issues, and I've seen a lot of bad doctors. I'm probably going into this as a much older person than most of you, so if something did go awry, I probably wouldn't find a way to fix it in my lifetime. It's because I've had other medical problems that I've had to wait so long to address this. I would be willing to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement if necessary. I have no interest in telling anyone. I just want to avoid this person, if at all possible.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
How old are you?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:35:04 PM by PloskoPlus »