General Category > Emotional Support

Depression/Anxiety?

(1/4) > >>

mkmoritz:
I've been reading a few various posts' lately, and people have been saying they've gone into severe depression/anxiety after their surgery.  I'd imagine having a "new face" is a bit scary, and it would definitely take some getting used to, but I'm not sure why it would cause depression.

Can anyone who's had similar experiences elaborate?

Tiny:
People who are prone to such issues can be triggered by major changes and life events

There's also the aspect of the very long build up to the surgery, high cost, high expectations and these are not always met.  This can be very upsetting, I was hella pissed when my first rhino - which I'd wanted and saved for for years - did not turn out the way I expected.  The disappointment and dashed hopes can be hard to deal with. When things don't go the way you wanted them to you can end up hating your new face more than the original, even if technically it's an improvement

I think it can be avoided by keeping realistic expectations and being fully briefed on the surgical movements before surgery so there are no nasty surprises

ticktickatick:
It is really hard to predict how you will end up looking after surgery. The morph images that some surgeons can be pretty inaccurate.

Inevitable you develop a sort of image in your head of how will you look and you will probably end up at least slightly disappointed because this is not an exact science in terms of aesthetic outcome.

Also if you have things like frontal asymmetry those can be very hard to fix, so you may go through thousands of dollars and months of recovery, only to find that even though you have a better bite and profile, some obvious visible things could not be fixed.

Waiting for feeling to come back is also depressing, especially when you get to that point where you realize some of it may never come back.

PloskoPlus:
Just think to yourself that you're fixing a deformity.  Personally, of course I want to look as good as possible, but if I end up with a solid bite, strong smile, don't look any worse and have no major complications, that's a net win. 

Modigliani:
The aftereffects of anesthesia shouldn't be underestimated either and can often be a contributory factor to post op blues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version