Author Topic: U shape after BSSO  (Read 14506 times)

ForeverDet

Re: U shape after BSSO
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
The second girl is a great example of excesive CCW rotation. Before she had all the earmarks of long face syndrome and after she looks like she has mild short face syndrome. Meaning flat occlusal/mandibular plane, prominent chin, lip redundancy, etc. She's still pretty and in someways her features did improve i.e. lip posture/closure, chin shape, bite.

However had the doctor chose a more modest surgical plan, it would gave her a more feminine and ideal result. Ideal in the sense that her facial features would have been in a class 1 relationship, attractive AND more agreeable for aging because as she gets older, her lips will descend and go inward ("old person mouth") and her jaw/chin will appear more prominent.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 03:18:06 AM »
The second girl is a great example of excesive CCW rotation. Before she had all the earmarks of long face syndrome and after she looks like she has mild short face syndrome. Meaning flat occlusal/mandibular plane, prominent chin, lip redundancy, etc. She's still pretty and in someways her features did improve i.e. lip posture/closure, chin shape, bite.

However had the doctor chose a more modest surgical plan, it would gave her a more feminine and ideal result. Ideal in the sense that her facial features would have been in a class 1 relationship, attractive AND more agreeable for aging because as she gets older, her lips will descend and go inward ("old person mouth") and her jaw/chin will appear more prominent.

So close, yet so far... :(

She looks a lot better without the box jaw either. Something she could definitely fix. Hard to tell if it's all her jaw and not her masseters adding to the effect.

01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:59 AM »
I think she definitely looks a lot better though.

God, I realize I blessed I am when it comes to the way I look. I mean im no model or anything, but I cant complain how I look. I jus look at that poor guy and just hope he's happy with his results. I need to stop being so hard on myself and after all my swelling is gone, I have to move on in life and stop worrying about the way I look.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:14:29 AM by nrelax11 »

notrain

• Private
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 07:44:21 AM »
I think she definitely looks a lot better though.

God, I realize I blessed I am when it comes to the way I look. I mean im no model or anything, but I cant complain how I look. I jus look at that poor guy and just hope he's happy with his results. I need to stop being so hard on myself and after all my swelling is gone, I have to move on in life and stop worrying about the way I look.

after looking at many before and afters and reading a lot of text books that's how i've come to feel as well. many jaw surgery candidates look like they've bitten on a stick of dynamite and still look "off" after their surgery while even before surgery i look normal. all those one in a million results floating around online can really skew the perception on what's actually going on in reality. it's probably best to expect nothing and be glad if no complications arise after surgery.

ticktickatick

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:54 PM »
I suspect this is primarily the result of poor rami length pre-op. As a result the large degree of rotation flattens the mandibular plane and makes it appear wider, then the advancement brings out the U shape more.

Hypothetically a chin wing can help as it can not only advance but also widen the jaw angles to offset this effect.

Since the only way to create a V-shape would be to make the anterior part of the mandible thinner via bone shaving (asians do this sometimes I believe), or to widen the posterior part (which is what a chin wing can do).  This depends a lot on the already existing facial shape and deficiencies of course.

Edit: Think of it like an optical illusion. If the U-shaped jaw is rotated upwards posteriorly then it will look more v-shaped. Especially as it's recessed so less of the rear is coming through. Then with advancement more of the jaw's shape becomes apparent. Plus you now have more of the jaw widening earlier on in the front of the face due to advancement. If that makes any sense at all. this is not easy to explain. Makes sense in my mind however  ;D

^ this.

Pre-op I always sort of had a babyface look. I thought had a V-jaw with chubby cheeks. Now that my mandible has swung forward you see that it's more of a U shape.  The V-shape was an optical illusion.

I think the chubby cheeks thing was also an illusion. They weren't really chubby but even when I smiled my lower jaw was far back enough that my cheeks looked huge in comparison.

For the record I don't think either photo represents the best surgeries I've ever seen, but both girls look better post-op than pre-op.

FaceDay

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
Second girl's result would be A+ if she was a guy. Is it in general easier to get an aesthetic result for men?

Mark32

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 06:05:02 PM »
is it just me or does the first girl look kinda nice in her pre-op profile pic? ??? are recessive lower jaws more common amongst women or something because that pre-op mandible position does seem sort of feminine in profile.

how does the V vs U shape of the lower face play out when the bsso moves the lower jaw in the other direction - for a class 3 patient?

ticktickatick

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
is it just me or does the first girl look kinda nice in her pre-op profile pic? ??? are recessive lower jaws more common amongst women or something because that pre-op mandible position does seem sort of feminine in profile.

I don't know about more common, but a retruded profile is more culturally acceptable in females.

Mark32

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
Quote from: ticktickatick
I don't know about more common, but a retruded profile is more culturally acceptable in females.
maybe that's what i'm thinking of. is a retruded profile one where your jaws (lower face) sit behind a vertical line connecting certain facial landmarks - when viewed in profile?  or is it just that, in profile, the front of your maxilla sits in a posterior position to the front of your forehead? im getting myself confused! :-\