Author Topic: What do we know about bone grafts?  (Read 875 times)

molestrip

• Private
What do we know about bone grafts?
« on: November 11, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »
As I mentioned in other threads, I've gotten opinions from a few surgeons and most mentioned usage of bone grafts. What do we know about these? What function do they serve and how important are they? Should they be a deciding factor in surgeon selection?

One surgeon mentioned HA granules would be used on on both upper and lower jaws. He mentioned this was a recent advancement they'd needed for a long time. Another uses HA blocks, on both too I think. The last uses maxillary grafts only but not sure what kind. The rest don't use grafts. I don't think the one I'm planning to use has it in his plan and I don't know if he ever does it for jaw surgeries but I know that he does them for implants.

My plan includes 10-12mm BSSO w/CCW rotation, maxillary 6mm forward / 4mm down posterior / 2mm down anterior with 5mm sliding genioplasty.

sean89

Re: What do we know about bone grafts?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:03:34 PM »
I had hip graft for chin wing osteotomy. I was told that the bone might recede, potentially at different rates on either side. I was also told it might not recede. My recovery from my hip graft was pretty sore and maybe the worst thing about the operation. It also left a big scar at the time although six months later, it has faded quite a lot, but still very visible.