Author Topic: Protocol for 2nd opinion  (Read 950 times)

jawbreakerbeach

Protocol for 2nd opinion
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:43 AM »
How do you go about getting a 2nd opinion on a post-op jaw?

I just want a surgeon to do a CT scan and give me their opinion on the current state of my jaw. Just facts like...your jaw is canted _____ mm, your midlines are ____ mm to the left, etc.

It's not even about getting this guy to do a revision, I just want a layout of everything in numbers from a current CT scan from a third party.

I figure as soon as I say the words "post-op" or "second opinion" to any receptionist their warning bells might go off.

My best guess is to just be vague and say I'm considering jaw surgery, and after they take the scans to let on that I'm unhappy with my results, don't want to name names, just want some facts.

Is there a better way to do this and ensure an honest opinion? I'm worried that either a petty receptionist will try to screen out a post-op patient, or that a doctor will clam up not wanting to talk about another doctor's work.

Right now I need to have the consult and CT scan covered by my insurance so I'm limited to exactly TWO surgeons. If they shut me out or clam up I'm kind of screwed.

molestrip

• Private
Re: Protocol for 2nd opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Don't worry about what other surgeons think. Definitely don't worry about their receptionists. They're busy, busy people and they'll forget you quickly. You don't want to be rude and you don't want to take a lot of time. Your concern seems straight forward. I'd say that you shouldn't hesitate. Just call them both and tell them exactly what you're looking for. It sounds very reasonable to me.

You're never screwed btw. There's lots.. LOTS of surgeons in this world. There's even a lot locally, there just aren't a lot locally with stellar reputations!