Author Topic: Surgery First  (Read 2404 times)

sean89

Surgery First
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
This is supposed to have revolutionised jaw surgery, but why is it not being used more widely?

geijutsu

Re: Surgery First
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 12:59:26 AM »
It's pretty much the standard in many clinic in Asia, but for some reason the western surgeons haven't caught up yet.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 02:17:08 AM »
Interesting...

I do know of people in Aus who have had surgery followed by orthodontic work, so maybe it is starting to be done here? I commented that they were doing it the wrong way around, now I know that's not the case!

I would still needed traditional method..too many issues requiring orthodontic first.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:03:00 AM »
I think I read that Pelo can work that way round, don't quote me on it though.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:53:25 AM »
Dr Birbe - the surgeon from Spain who used to post here also mentioned doing surgery first.  Personally, I don't think it's a great idea.  My surgeon said, that the more time you spend in braces before surgery, the less time you'll be in braces after.  In my case, I had little tooth show before surgery, and much more after.  So my total "conspicuous braces" time would have been higher.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:36 PM »
When I was a kid I wish I had seen a surgeon before consulting with an orthodontist.  My case always should have been considered a surgical case. 

MrFox

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »
If a surgeon does surgery first and the teeth need a lot of moving with braces afterwords because they're crowded or flared, could that mess up the profile that the surgeon created?

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:24:35 AM »
If a surgeon does surgery first and the teeth need a lot of moving with braces afterwords because they're crowded or flared, could that mess up the profile that the surgeon created?

I would think so. The appearance of the lips for one thing depends on your bite so drastically changing the occlusion could give more or less support to the lips for example.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
I've heard surgeons don't like to guess at where the teeth will be. More importantly, I don't see how a surgeon could vertical splits without moving teeth out of the way first. Would only make sense for forwards and backwards.