Author Topic: Numb palate (roof of mouth)  (Read 4139 times)

mkmoritz7

Numb palate (roof of mouth)
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
Currently 10 days post op. Doc moved my upper jaw a couple millimeters forward and 1 millimeter down.

The roof of my mouth is completely numb. It's affecting temperature sensitivity and my speech. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Gregor Samsa

Re: Numb palate (roof of mouth)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:59:28 PM »
It's probably normal. I couldn't feel anything in that area for quite a while after the surgery.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:36:42 PM »
Mines still pretty numb and im three months post op. I cant even feel anything when I floss lol.

mkmoritz7

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
Mines still pretty numb and im three months post op. I cant even feel anything when I floss lol.

Yeesh -- My surgeon explained nerve regeneration to me a little bit... he said, they're the "pre-madonna's" of our body.   The nerves kind of have their own way of doing things... .they come back whenever they want.

As far as the roof of my mouth now (15 days post op) it's still pretty numb.  I'm not sure if I'm getting much feeling back, or if I'm just getting used to the numbness.  I have feeling in the back (of the roof of my mouth), but everywhere else in that region is pretty numb.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
you are SO SO early out, numbness is such a variable thing. For some people they have full sensation when they wake up and some people take months or years to recover fully. Just make sure you are getting enough rest, getting enough vitamins and food in your system, that is the best you can do. Good luck, be patient, VERY patient.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
I mean my palate is the only area thats still pretty much completely numb, but theres some small areas that have feeling. I guess I wouldn't mind that much if it stayed numb, but sometimes when my tongue is up there I get tjis weird feeling. I dont even know how to explain it lol

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 02:34:50 PM »
A surgeon showed me where the nerves run on the roof of the mouth. There's no way to do a LeFort without cutting those nerves. He said they either reconnect with their old pathways, other nerves take over, they regrow in new pathways, or they don't. I haven't heard of it ever being permanent but sometimes it won't quite make it all the way to the front.

Rico

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »
  The nerves kind of have their own way of doing things... .they come back whenever they want.

Not quite. Occasionally it might be true.  They regenerate immedietely If they have any ability to regenerate. There are 3 levels of nerve damage.
1. neuropraxia. the mildest nerve damage. Always regenerates to 100% withn 3-6 months
2nd level . do not always regenerate to 100%. and it took longer time average 1-1.5 years
3rd level of damage, vey poor regeneration and never regain 100% of function.

You have 1st or 2nd or 3rd level damage. The time and quality of regeneration will show which. Eventually there is compression which blocks nerve regeneration. If it is, then must be taken of as soon as possible.
If you have 1st or 2nd one then you should feel any changes after 3 -4 months, if not then for sure You have completely destroyed nerve and You never get 100% back, even 50% will be a success

Nerve cannot grow in bone where the mini-canal is smashed. Sometimes somehow it find the way. We don't now how this works fully. But its a gamble.

other nerves take over
  There is no data about that in medical reseraches. To taking function by other nerves. If there is indeed such action, then for sure you won't get back 100% of feeling

I have mild ION compression for a 3 years now. It has taken about 5% of nerve function. and nothing changed despite the next to this nerve (3 cms distance), there is another one. No taking over has taken place.

MY RECOMMENDATION:  If nothing will change after 3-4 months, then Read about laser therapy for nerve regeneration. It is approved, that such therapies helps in regeneration.

Do the cold test. Take a cold spoon and check if you feel any cold ? If yes then the feeling will come back, if not, you have problem ;) However 10 days is too early for any small tests ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:08:16 AM by xdon82 »