Author Topic: Questions About Catheter for (Double) Jaw Surgery  (Read 3780 times)

soccerboy9

Questions About Catheter for (Double) Jaw Surgery
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

I heard that I will have a (urinary) catheter put in for my double jaw surgery (which will last 3.5-4 hours), and I had a couple of questions about it.

1. Will it be put in after I am asleep?

2. What does it feel like when it is in?

3. How long will it be in?

4. Does it hurt to have it removed?

5. Will I be sedated for its removal (if the answer to question 3 is, 'yes'?

6. Can I wear anything (like underwear) under my hospital gown.

I am a male, by the way!

Thanks,

-soccerboy9

Gregor Samsa

Re: Questions About Catheter for (Double) Jaw Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:35:47 AM »
Who told you that you are getting one? I don't know anyone here who had one in during their surgery.

falcao

Re: Questions About Catheter for (Double) Jaw Surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:55:10 AM »
When I heard I'd get one I'd start to freak out more about it than the actual surgery.

To answer your questions:
1. It will be put in while you're under general anesthesia.
2. You don't feel it really.
3. They will remove it the morning following the surgery.
4. No. But it's not a pleasant feeling. I think it's more psychological than physical.
5. Yes. They put some local anesthetic immediately before removal.
6. No. Absolutely no underwear at that time. I did put underwear on the following morning.

I had my surgery in Germany and don't speak German. First they removed it from the guy next to me in the room (a young bloke of 20-something) and he was freaking out like I was but at least speaking/asking questions in German. Then it was my turn. The guy doing the removal couldn't speak a word in English so all my questions/reactions were in vain (Wait! No! Will it hurt! Tell me at least so that I can prepare myself! etc etc). While I was protesting he was done - grabbed my dick and took it out (really a 5 second job).

So, don't worry about it. Now that I think about it I laugh at the experience. It helps ENORMOUSLY in the recovery. I felt 5 times better immediately after my last surgery than the one before that (without a catheter). Yes, I had two unfortunately.

It helps so much that they keep you hydrated all time long and you are urinating constantly through the catheter. It cuts the recovery time and how you feel afterwards immensely. I was super fine the day after. It's only the first night that is really really hard.