Author Topic: Question about long face, slack jaw, surgery needed?  (Read 2007 times)

Jwtong

Question about long face, slack jaw, surgery needed?
« on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
Hi, I just joined this forum cause it seems like many people here have good advice or experience with jaw issues. I am a 20 year old male and I wanted to get some quick feedback or info on whether someone has encountered my issue.

I have always been a mouth-breather, and I have always found it moderately difficult to breathe with my nose, especially when lying down. When my jaw is relaxed, my mouth is slightly open showing the tips of my top and bottom teeth. I've had braces as a teen, and my bite is fine, although I strain my jaw to keep my mouth closed. A consulting orthodontist once suggested headgear before I had braces, but I was too stubborn to listen. My issues are that I have had joint pain in my jaw (not severe though),  and I feel I may have a long face. I also have big lips, and a rather gummy smile, which I believe may be exaggerated due to this fact.

Lastly, I would like to know if jaw surgery is something that can be done without too many complications. I'm mainly concerned about aesthetics, though I do think there may be a functional component to a fix. I guess I'm like everyone in the fact that I'm willing to take the risk, but would really hope that there is not a chance for regretting a big decision.

I apologize if this is not the place to ask this or if this sounds like an ask for a diagnosis, but I wanted a second opinion before consulting my local orthodontists. If pictures would help, please let me know. Thanks a ton!

Nataliepryor

• Private
Re: Question about long face, slack jaw, surgery needed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:42:32 AM »
Did your orthodontist mention if you have an overbite or Crossbite?  Often long face and gummy smile can be associated with an overbite/recessed chin.

Jwtong

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
I think that my braces fixed my bite, and the teeth are currently lined up nicely. I'm not sure what they would have turned out like, but I'm guessing I did have an overbite.

I looked up some of the terms for my symptoms, and I definitely do have lip incompetence and the associated mentalis strain.

terry947

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »
Hey jtwong Im pretty new to this whole thing as well, and I'm in a similar situation.

As far as I know, you/me would have to get these procedures

1) lefort 1 to bring the upper jaw forward
2) Impaction - to fix the gummy smile
3) counter clock-wise rotation to have a horizontal occlusion and to rotate the mandible
4) Bsso to lengthen the mandible
5) Genoplasty to bring the chin forward as well.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 07:52:52 PM »
That is what I am having terry947, or similar...(still to have pre surgical appointment).

Knowing measurements would help answer your question. For example, a normal overbite is 2-4mm, mine is 10mm.  Orthodontics can fix some of the problem, but not all..

If there is lip incompetence, I would say you have an overbite??

terry947

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 09:17:40 PM »
Orthodontics are generally useless in fixing functional issues. Think about it. Braces alight teeth but If you have an major overbite its 99% skeletal ie. jaw's too short or whatever.

Orthodontists who fix overbites just flare teeth so that it looks like its been fixed.

terry947

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »
lately, "functional orthodontia" seem to be very popular, but I am not quite sure what exactly is meant under this term.

I guess to me it just means expanding the jaw instead of pulling teeth. If you have a class 2 or 3 bite I can't see how orthodontics alone can fix it.