Author Topic: Questions about jaw surgery  (Read 1235 times)

Hdot

Questions about jaw surgery
« on: February 21, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
I don't know the etiquette of this forum, i know some others will shamelessly criticise aesthetics, talk bluntly about plastic surgery and be very informal but as i dont know if thats what this one is like i'll try to be formal.

When i was young i had a horrible overbite - three different sets of braces to fix the teeth and make them line up, but now i still have a receded jaw, and pain from pushing my lower jaw forward all the time. I honestly am a fairly unnattractive guy but dont have bad basics - apart from my jaw my face is oval, i have fairly good features that could be easily made great with plastic surgery if i want it and i am above average height and all that. Its just my jaw is very bad and my teeth themselves arent great - my front broke when i fell as a kid, i couldnt close my mouth because of the overbite and now if you look very closely you can see the line where the tooth was fixed. I'm 17 now and looking to get my receded jaw made normal.

Basically i reckon i will spend a decent amount of time and money in my life making myself look better - both my parents and my sister are good looking just this unfortunate thing that my jaw never properly developed.

I went to see a top doctor in London last year - but they never sent me a quote. We spoke about me getting a sagittal split mandibular osteotomy, with no mention of anything else. I have looked into the whole thing a lot by reading things online and it seems to me as though the course i'd like to take in the long term is to get the SSMO(I dont know the proper abbreviation if there is one) and a genioplasty to get my lower jaw in line. Then later on to get implants to really make my jaw masculine - not just average which is what i understand is all bone surgery can accomplish. Is it realistic to have jaw angle and chin implants after bone cutting surgery? I dont have any pictures of myself and wouldn't really feel comfortable uploading them, but i have attached a picture of what my jaw kind of looks like and what i would like it to look like. It's worth noting that above the base of the nose in the 'before' picture i dont look like the guy in there. As for what i want my jaw to look like there's no real limit. Ideally a really strong josh brolin type jaw or really any of the stereotypical strong contoured highly anged jawlines you get in hollywood.

I would also like to know how much this would all cost. I'm in the UK and imagine that paying privately it would cost ~30k gbp but i dont know for sure and would appreciate any info there - i would also have to pay for orthodontic work to take out some molar teeth and give me an overbite again prior to surgery. I include that cost in my 30k estimate. Also how realistic are my expectations? I know before  and after pictures online are never going to be super reliable, but i have seen some amazing stuff by searching around.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hdot

Re: Questions about jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
bump - i would really appreciate a reply

JawKid7

Re: Questions about jaw surgery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Why not try getting surgery done under the nhs? you're only 17, get an appointment with an orthodontist and if he thinks your bite is 'bad' enough he will refer you to a surgeon. I have an underbite and I got braces when I was 17. I'm 19 now and I have a consultation with the surgeon in 3 months time. Maybe have the surgery under the nhs and pay for a chin implant later on? I don't know much about implants so can't help you there.
As for the hollywood jawline even if you do decide to get implants it doesn't mean for sure you will look 'hollywoodish' lol. However going to a good reputable surgeon is the best chance you have.
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015