Author Topic: Steep mandibular plane angles?  (Read 33025 times)

x

• Private
Steep mandibular plane angles?
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:39:05 PM »

As far as I know nothing can be done about them with surgery right? Would this have an effect on your occlusal plane angle as well?

I've heard noise that distraction osteogenesis can lengthen the pterygomasseteric sling although not much in the way of befores/afters and it seems reserved for serious cases involving major issues.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Steep mandibular plane angles?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
yeah i wanna know about this too...

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:14:42 PM »
i think in order to achieve that effect the surgeons would need to perform a counter clockwise rotation. i am not sure if many surgeons do this but i have read really reputable surgeons do.

x

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
i think in order to achieve that effect the surgeons would need to perform a counter clockwise rotation. i am not sure if many surgeons do this but i have read really reputable surgeons do.
I don't think CCW rotation would lengthen the ramus though would it? It might give the illusion of a more natural angle...

Anyways there's 3 procedures that I know of that are done to correct a short ramus: mandibular distraction, inverted L osteotomy, and extraoral subcondylar ramus osteotomy.

If anyone knows anything about any of these 3 procedures, information would be appreciated!

Ok this site does a good job explaining the inverted L osteotomy, https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hng7BARydDRwN3Q1dDA08XN59Qz8AAQwMDA6B8JJK8haGFgYFnqKezn7GTH1DahIBuP4_83FT9gtyIcgBttnJy/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfQzBWUUFCMUEwRzFFMTBJREZMVUlRUDEwMDA!/?redfix_url=1340269339758&implantstype=Inverted%20L%20osteotomy&segment=Orthognathic&bone=CMF&classification=95b-Mandible%2c%20Sagittal&approach=&showPage=redfix&treatment=&method=Mandibular%20prognathism

Heavyweight

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »
You can get implants to make your jaw angles sharper.

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:30 PM »
I don't think CCW rotation would lengthen the ramus though would it? It might give the illusion of a more natural angle...

Anyways there's 3 procedures that I know of that are done to correct a short ramus: mandibular distraction, inverted L osteotomy, and extraoral subcondylar ramus osteotomy.

If anyone knows anything about any of these 3 procedures, information would be appreciated!

Ok this site does a good job explaining the inverted L osteotomy, https://www2.aofoundation.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hng7BARydDRwN3Q1dDA08XN59Qz8AAQwMDA6B8JJK8haGFgYFnqKezn7GTH1DahIBuP4_83FT9gtyIcgBttnJy/dl2/d1/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnB3LzZfQzBWUUFCMUEwRzFFMTBJREZMVUlRUDEwMDA!/?redfix_url=1340269339758&implantstype=Inverted%20L%20osteotomy&segment=Orthognathic&bone=CMF&classification=95b-Mandible%2c%20Sagittal&approach=&showPage=redfix&treatment=&method=Mandibular%20prognathism

are we talking about lengthening a ramus vertically? i did not know they could actually do that. i do know that in ivro the cuts are made to lengthen the ramus horizontally instead of along the mandible

Joy

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
I had a very steep mandibular angle, which is now pretty square.  I don't know every detail of what was done to fix that specifically, but I did receive CCW and HA paste for gonial angles.  I'm still healing, but my profile is much better now. 

x

• Private
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:02:34 PM »
I'm not concerned about the flaring out of the jaws or whatever

tdawg suggested that we both had similar cases, his hunch was that our ramus didn't grow long enough, so we have an underbite with the profile that looks like a class II

dovidiostore

• Private
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
i had an open bite and feel like because of that my ramus grew in too short

x

• Private
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
i had an open bite and feel like because of that my ramus grew in too short
Same. I think our open bite is caused by the downward angle of the mandible because of the short ramus

pekay

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »

Apparently only Medpor implants can give you that "drop the jaw angle down vertically look" and we all know how icky Medpor is :( although I think Titanium Implants might be able to do that as well (not 100% sure)
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
i also wanted to know what the root cause of my open bite was. whatever the reason, i am pretty sure my open bite is even why i have a sloped forehead. it can change the entire development of the face. tongue thrust, mouth breathing, forward head posture, all i feel can contribute to an open bite
I think mouth breathing is the thing that causes all of those.

Mouth breathing causes the jaws to grow downward, because the jaws grow downward you're forced to arc your head forward so that your chin isn't pressing against your neck. Maybe the tongue thrusting is due to lack of mouth space because the jaws grew downward rather than horizontally forward?

pekay

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »
Mouth breathing theory is complete and utter bulls**t, tongue thrusting however is a real issue.
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private

pekay

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
You're not going to convince me with two articles/links

Try 10+ peer reviewed journals and we will talk
Chopsticks > Spoons