Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty Journey with Dr. Gunson  (Read 57792 times)

jesterofmalice

Re: Should I get a Sliding Genioplasty + My Consults and Questions!
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2015, 03:17:52 AM »
Sounds like a good consultation. Money well spent. Shame that Gunson+Arnette don't have a UK branch! :)

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2015, 04:12:12 AM »
Great to hear

SGseeker

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
Hey Everyone! I received a rough 3D morph of what to expect from the surgery from Dr. Gunson. This is not 100% accurate because it does not include the rotational aspect but it does include the 1-2mm shortening of my chin. I'd love to hear your thoughts. It has taken me a while to post because i didn't like it at first but now it has grown on me. I think I found that I looked VERY different.

Anyways - please let me know your thoughts!!!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 05:50:17 PM by SGseeker »

needadvancement

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »
^Looks really good, it balances your profile nicely.

When is your surgery? And it would be great if you will update us when the time comes.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »
It looks nice. The result rarely turns out exactly like the morph though but this should be an easy surgery for someone as experienced as Gunson.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »
Very impressive.

terry947

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2015, 01:34:13 AM »
Looks good but the first pic is with your mouth open so it kind of throws off the before and after.

SGseeker

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2015, 05:44:02 AM »
^Thanks! It's my mouth in a rested position. My teeth are actually touching but i have lip incompetence. Gunson believes he will be able to solve some of that by doing the rotational genioplasty. So my lips should be closer together at rest. For my lips to touch right now i have to actively think about it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far :)

SGseeker

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
^Looks really good, it balances your profile nicely.

When is your surgery? And it would be great if you will update us when the time comes.

Surgery has not been booked. Hoping for October.

JayJaw

Re: Sliding Genioplasty + Consults + Morphs + Photos + Questions!
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »
I live in NY (close to NYC) and was considering going to Jamali. It sounds like you liked him.

Is it worthwhile traveling to California for A&G when I can so easily see Jamali? Is there anyone else in the NYC area I should be aware of? I know A&G get great reviews, but they can't be the only ones who can do a great job. I'm hoping Jamali or someone in NYC is equally talented.

Anyway, just curious to get your (and others) opinion on it since you've been there. Thanks!

I have what actually seems a similar recession to you... never had issues with sleep apnea (I'm 28) or anything. Still, I was always a mouth breather so even with straightened teeth after braces I have a slight open bite, teeth tilted forward (even then I feel like my tongue doesn't have quite enough space, definitely not enough width, though my palette could be worse). I have lip incompetence also, though have been able to train myself to keep tongue on rood of my mouth and lips closed (though slight strain... but I can grow facial hair so hides it).

Double jaw surgery makes me nervous, but so does sliding genioplasty... since both have nerve damage risks.

Plus, I wonder if now that my teeth are "fixed" if insurance will cover it. My insurance says open bite has to have no overlap, but depending on how I close my jaw, there is a slight overlap... but my incisors always uncomfortably touch and it hurts sometimes. My gums suck because of the mouth breathing. It is more of a struggle to breath from nose sometimes, especially when exercising. I'm afraid I'll develop sleep apnea one day.

Anyway, I'm rambling... sorry!

GL on everything. Any help with Jamali or other NYC area surgeons is appreciated. Thanks!

Anna5

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
Hello GPSeeker,

I think it really looks good! I wish you very good luck with your surgery.
I am in the same boat as you, my chin is also recessed and I have lip incompetence also. I am also considering having a genioplasty. I was wondering: will the genio completely solve your lip incompetence or just a bit of it? Do you show your upper or lower teeth at rest now? I have about 10 mm lip incompetence now and mainly my lower incisors show.
Once again, I wish you all the very best. You are already beautiful and will become even more beautiful soon!

SGseeker

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »
@needadvancement
My surgery is booked for October 15th!!! I will keep you all up to date on my progress.

@JayJaw
Jamali is excellent and very nice and patient. Just that Dr. Gunson was a lot more comprehensive and is going to not only move the chin forward but rotate it AND use HA paste to contour my jawline. It will be more expensive but worth it in terms of aesthetics. He also has a lot more experience than Dr. Jamali who has been in practice for a shorter period of time. I believe both would give great outcomes but I feel more comfortable going with AG because i get the imaging etc.

@Anna5
Thank you!! I have read elsewhere that it doesnt normally help and i have read that it can (Dr. Eppley). I spoke to Dr. Gunson and he said there will be an improvement especially since we are rotating the chin bone. That's what it shows in the imaging as well. Right now i have about 7mm if i remember correctly in lip incompetence it should go down to 2-3mm. Right now only my upper teeth show at rest.

@herecticx
It can if you want it to - they can shave the bone to become more pointy (this is done in Asia normally to give a more feminine face). If you have a pointy chin to begin with it could look more pointy after surgery since it is brought forward.

terry947

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:01 AM »
Nice keep us posted!

PloskoPlus

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
I'd skip the HA paste.

SGseeker

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
Thanks everyone!!

@PloskoPlus
Is it because of resorption ? I am trying to do as much research as possible right now on HA. Please share any reviews or resources you know of to help with my decision. I really like the idea of contouring with it on the jaw line and have read some good reviews so far. I am even tempted to do cheekbone enhancement with HA. I'd love to know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!!!