Author Topic: Am I a good candidate for zygomatic osteotomy? Also, any good surgeon tips?  (Read 10823 times)

baldguy83

I think I suffer from midface deficiency and a weak lower jaw (and baldness, but there's no cure for that!  ;D), see pics below. The weak lower jaw can be fixed with a BSSO (I already have the orthodontic part almost done), but is it worth considering a zygomatic osteotomy to fill out the midface more? I read on this forum that such an osteotomy cannot fix 'infraorbital recession', but I'm not sure whether that applies to my case as well ;)

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for surgeons based around The Netherlands/Germany/Belgium who can carry out these procedures? I was thinking of going with MM at first, but I've read a lot of bad press about him lately.

Thank a lot in advance! :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:57:06 PM by baldguy83 »

notrain

• Private
i think your midface projection is normal but you have flat cheekbones in the 3/4. ramin zarrinbal in berlin does midface osteotomies.

Gregor Samsa

i think your midface projection is normal but you have flat cheekbones in the 3/4. ramin zarrinbal in berlin does midface osteotomies.

How would a zygomatic osteotomy help though? I suspect it will just create a plateau under his eyes that will exaggerate whatever infraorbital weakness that already exists. I'm far from an expert on the matter though so don't take my word for it.

baldguy83

That's the second time Zarrinbal has been named. Thing is, it's hard to find information about him, or about surgeries he has (successfully) performed. Or am I looking in the wrong places? Also two years ago MM was being hyped as one of the best max-facs (I was initially planning to let him perform the surgery), and supposedly now he is a butcher. Has Zarrinbal earned his reputation? Sorry for being so skeptical about your suggestion!

Also, does he deal with international patients? My German is kind of rusty.

Gregor Samsa

Several patients on this forum has had successful surgeries with Zarrinbal. One even had a zygomatic osteotomy.

baldguy83

Ah, I see you are referring to the topic by Piccoloprincipe15, in which falcao also shares his experiences. Sounds good indeed. Thanks!

Modigliani

• Private
That's the second time Zarrinbal has been named. Thing is, it's hard to find information about him, or about surgeries he has (successfully) performed. Or am I looking in the wrong places? Also two years ago MM was being hyped as one of the best max-facs (I was initially planning to let him perform the surgery), and supposedly now he is a butcher. Has Zarrinbal earned his reputation? Sorry for being so skeptical about your suggestion!

Also, does he deal with international patients? My German is kind of rusty.

Honey, there is no supposedly about it, Maurice Mommaerts is a butcher, trust me (and the legions of his other victims) on that point. Whatever you do avoid the bastard at all costs.

baldguy83

Yeah, I've been reading up on him on this and other forums. Seems like his reputation dropped like a rock the past two years. Bizarre. It's almost as if he stopped giving a damn.

Modigliani

• Private
It seems to be since he took the position of Professor at UZ Brussel (s**tty teaching hospital, avoid them all if possible). That combined with folks having the balls to speak out, failed surgery knocks you in such a way that it can be quite difficult to talk about.

In his own words, "I am paid a salary by the University, patients are a disadvantage to me".

Are you in the UK?

baldguy83

I actually visited UZ Brussel and specifically his department once, it indeed seemed quite disorganized. Everyone was quite friendly though (including MM), but that is no guarantee for good surgical results obviously.

I'm a Dutchie, the tall kind.

Modigliani

• Private
I'm a Dutchie, the tall kind.

Thought that was the only kind  ;)

baldguy83

Surprisingly, not every Dutchman is over 6 feet! Those who fail the threshold are met with much scorn in public life, obviously. Many of them secretely tend to wear stilts to try and be inconspicuous, hence you UK folk don't notice them amongst us true Dutchies.

Either way, I'm going to try and talk to some of Zarrinbal's (ex-) patients to get the feel of the man. First impressions seem positive.

Modigliani

• Private
I wear stilts also from time to time, the red sole variety usually.

Falcao is another satisfied Z patient, he's been through a lot so approach him with respect and I'm sure he'll help you if he can.

Good luck.

baldguy83

Yeah, I've sent him a PM already, hopefully he will respond :)

You have any experience with Zarrinbal perchance?

Modigliani

• Private
No but he would have next on my list to consult with.