Author Topic: Braces for underbite + Chin Reduction + Cheek Augmentation  (Read 1698 times)

Notctr

Braces for underbite + Chin Reduction + Cheek Augmentation
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, I don't know if it's even related to the forum, but I'm in desperate need of opinions.

Long story short: I had a mild underbite due to mouth breathing and after a lot of back and forth with my dentist and surgeon they decided I should fix it with braces since a bimax surgery would have barely made a difference to the soft tissue. So I had braces that corrected my bite and a vertical chin reduction of 6mm. The chin reduction improved my profile and 3/4 view a lot, but my chin is still slightly long in front view. I was told it wasn't possible to make it shorter since that would have created sagging skin below my chin. I disappointedly accepted that.

I was also suggested cheek agumentation via medpor malar implants, no fat grafting since it's a bone deficiency issue. I know they would help widening my face slightly and making my chin look shorter, which is what I'm looking for, but I've read so many different things about them that I honestly don't know what to do anymore.

Any opinions or thoughts?
Thanks  :)

PloskoPlus

Re: Braces for underbite + Chin Reduction + Cheek Augmentation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:23:55 AM »
Medpor cannot be removed if things go wrong.  1-3% chance of infection.  Zygomatic (cheekbone) osteotomy may be worthwhile.  But it can only widen the face (no anterior projection).

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 01:05:38 AM »
Medpor cannot be removed if things go wrong.  1-3% chance of infection.  Zygomatic (cheekbone) osteotomy may be worthwhile.  But it can only widen the face (no anterior projection).

Not really. It depends on the type of osteotomy.

Most surgeons do a ZSO since it's easy and low risk, but there are plenty of other variations that can add anterior projection.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:57 AM »
Not really. It depends on the type of osteotomy.

Most surgeons do a ZSO since it's easy and low risk, but there are plenty of other variations that can add anterior projection.
Please tell us more.

Notctr

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
Hey, thanks for the replies!

I would very much prefer to have a zyogmatic osteotomy as well, but she never mentioned the option. I supposse it's because that's a more complex procedure and she doesn't think it's worth doing it with me? She's a very good maxillofacial and craniofacial surgeon btw.

I really want to go through this since it would help a lot to give more balance my face, but I really don't know what to do.