Author Topic: How does lip position affect the degree of jaw movement possible in general?  (Read 722 times)

sooq

To be brief, I have a short square lower face and ultimately would need double jaw surgery to rotate it down clockwise in order to open up my face. I saw a surgeon who said there was a limitation to the improvement I could get from jaw surgery because my teeth were "very upright" (no idea what this means) and something to do with lip position/relationship. I can't remember what what exact phrase he said about the lips as he didn't elaborate or explain, but it left me confused. I didn't realise that you could have an issue whereby  a good deal of rotation would be needed in order to get an aesthetic improvement in the face, but that for some reason the way the rest of your face is could restrict how far the surgeon could go. I know it's impossible to give advice on my particular face as I am not posting pics, but can anyone enlighten me as to why in general the way your lips are or having 'upright' teeth could affect what's possible in terms of orthognathic surgery?

The only thing I could imagine in relation to the lips is that if too much CW rotation were to occur,bringing my jaws down, then I would end up with a gummy smile, so therefore the degree of rotation would have to be smaller and thus the change to my overall face would be minimal and therefore the surgery not worth it?? I have very little tooth show at rest but he said when I talk and smile there is fairly good tooth show. I still don't get the upright teeth thing. I guess I should google it!