Author Topic: surgeon sayed that my lip incompetence cannot be fixed  (Read 1538 times)

Anna5

surgeon sayed that my lip incompetence cannot be fixed
« on: April 08, 2015, 08:11:26 AM »
Hello,

I have a question. My bite is ok (although my palate is a bit narrow), but I have quite severe lip incompetence at rest (about 10 mm, showing mainly all of my lower incisors and a tiny bit of my uppers).
I went to a surgeon to ask what can be done about this. He said jaw surgery won't solve this problem for me, because I don't have a gummy smile so impaction won't help. And I don't have a severe overjet (4 a 5 mm), so a BSSO won't also really help me.
And he thinks a genio also won't help enough to fix a 10 mm interlabial gap and also won't make me more beautiful. My chin is a bit recessed, but I don't really care about that too much, it is just the lip incompetence that bothers me.
The surgeon thinks my lip incompetence is just a matter of habit, because it has been there all my life. But i have already been to an orofacial myologist and done heaps of lip exercises for but they didn't really help....
My question is: could my surgeon be right that there is not always a fix for lip incompetence?
Do you know whether there maqy be other options to cure lip incompetence, eg lip repositioning, botox ed?

Thank you very much for your input!

Anna

Gregor Samsa

Re: surgeon sayed that my lip incompetence cannot be fixed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 08:27:55 AM »
I've seen a bunch of different surgeons and they've all told me different things. I suggest you find a well-known surgeon for a second opinion.

molestrip

• Private
Re: surgeon sayed that my lip incompetence cannot be fixed
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
Yup always get at least a few opinions. Start with the local guys and if it doesn't work out, travel to the big names.