Author Topic: HOW MUCH CAN WE REALLY CHANGE?  (Read 8230 times)

Lazlo

• Private
Re: HOW MUCH CAN WE REALLY CHANGE?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »
Don't know, I wasn't really interested in talking about it since I have no interest in going to Switzerland.

Mark505

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:39 AM »
edit: cleaned the comment for sensitive souls.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:37:03 AM by Mark505 »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
Hugo Obwegesser is that 90 yo fart, an irrelevant guy, while Joachim is the younger dude who operated that infamous girl and now appears to work in some private clinic.

The old fart only invented maxillofacial surgery as we know it - combined LF3 + LF1, double jaw surgery, BSSO.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
Hugo Obwegesser is that 90 yo fart, an irrelevant guy, while Joachim is the younger dude who operated that infamous girl and now appears to work in some private clinic.

Dude that is so disrespectful and just horrifyingly insensitive. I would take that comment down right now or I'm going to have you banned from this entire forum altogether. Not joking.

Dr. Obwegesser invented key aspects of max fac surgery and is a great man who is now in the twilight years of his life. Would you want such terribly mean things said of you when you're that age?

JawKid7

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
u can change your mind and physique, alot
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 05:13:51 PM »

You are correct JawKid7. I am Buddhist and I believe the body is infinitely mutable. I'm just wondering if it's infinitely mutable yet!  :D

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

90% of you body appearance is your skeleton (face included).  That's why the greatest changes in appearance require breaking bones.  But there are very hard (pun intended) limits on what is achievable.

Your personality is pretty much fixed by the time you're 20 years old.  Some change is possible, but the temperament is fixed.  Some say at birth.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 09:05:09 PM »
90% of you body appearance is your skeleton (face included).  That's why the greatest changes in appearance require breaking bones.  But there are very hard (pun intended) limits on what is achievable.

Your personality is pretty much fixed by the time you're 20 years old.  Some change is possible, but the temperament is fixed.  Some say at birth.

Yeah that's interesting. I sort of agree with this. My temperament is a bit jovial and comic so even when things get bad, I can sometimes find humour in it, even though it effects me to debilitating degrees.

But I gotta tell you, Buddhists would disagree that anything is ever fixed. And I agree with that as well. That the very nature of the world is always impermanent and in flux and the Buddha, 2500 years ago described neuroplasticity. Moreover, there are certain practices such as meditation that can quite radically affect one's personality. I'm not super religious, I just view the Buddha as a very astute scientist or psychologist of the mind. And I think theres some very strong oscillation in science itself between these kinds of nature or nurture views. The very field of epigenetics that describes how complex genes and even our dna changes as a result of the things we do or how the environment interacts with our genes. I lean a lot more towards the everything is indeed mutable and changeable worldview.

geijutsu

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 06:13:53 AM »
I too think that we can change. It just takes an enormous amount of work and commitment to do so, where few are willing to invest in. Most of us are into instant gratification when seeking change. Which is probably why there are very little people who can say that they did -in essence- truly change.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 11:24:26 AM »
I see plenty of beautiful people walking around too. However, I've also lived in a few places and I know that it's quite deceptive. Attractive people tend to go out more and live in denser areas. A lot of people have normal but average to ugly faces too, even if properly developed. I'd say at least half the moms in my kids daycare I don't consider attractive, even if not overweight.

But in general, yes being healthy equates to looking good. It really just comes down to good nutrition, especially in the womb, followed by good nutrition growing up, good sleep, and good breathing. I've been toying with the idea of having a book made on the topic. Something along the lines of "Princess eat, sleep, and breathe". What do you think? I'm not a kids expert, hard to communicate these topics appropriately to kids AND convince parents it's good to read to them.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 11:38:39 AM »
IF we didn't think we could really change we wouldn't be here.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
@Lazlo You mean this isn't just a support group? :P