Author Topic: [Pics] Should I get Jaw Surgery?  (Read 12051 times)

terry947

Re: [Pics] Should I get Jaw Surgery?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »
@needagameplan - go to a high end orthodontist office for a consult and they might do a ceph for free. That's what I did lol

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 07:51:26 AM »
s**t, that's AFTER SG? Dude, if you don't have massive problems already consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky. You need double jaw surgery for health reasons and don't wait a decade. I was told when I was 20 that I needed jaw surgery (by a family friend even!). My parents talked me out of it but everything the dentist said would happen happened and it sucks monkey balls. Here I am a decade later with those problems and still need to do the surgery! Your only hesitation should be making sure you get the right one done. You've already had the wrong one done once, don't repeat that mistake. There's a number of surgeon names around the board here to consider but basically, anyone who's doing several jaw surgeries a week should do. We can all tell you what it's going to be, though, 13mm BSSO + LF1 + CCW rotation. As others said, your mouth might look a little too full but it should be an overall aesthetic win for you. Just prepare yourself and don't do extractions as Lazlo said.

Elyuu

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I respect all your opinions and appreciate you taking the time.

I guess I should really change my Subject as I'm fairly adamant that I'll be pursuing some sort of Jaw Surgery and I'm looking for suggestions and advice on what procedures would aid my cause.

For anyone wondering, I'm in England and will be hoping to consult with Mr. Paul Johnson and Mr. Manolis Heliotis. I thought about Henri Thuau but I've heard the budget can be a little tight with him. Nonetheless, if, after seeing the first two, I don't feel confident, I will seek a third opinion.

Of course, any other suggestions, I'd love to know that are within Europe.

Thank you!

I can tell right now from the morphology face. If you don't have sleep apnea now, you will most certainly develop it as an adult. You have that extremely retrusive profile.

So, yeah you need a jaw surgeon who is ethical most likely need a CCW rotation to really open up that airway. Get a ceph and ask the surgeon what your airway is. If it's a lot less than 12 mm (mine is 4 which is terrible) you're candidate for this surgery. So you actually need the surgery to optimize your health.

Now, cosmetically it will help. But there will be some other issues, your upper lip will become more protrusive. so while your lower jaw will be more defined you may develop a bit of that chimp look. But only minimally.

Don't get extractions under any circumstances.

f**k i'm so good at this now. I'm gonna sign of Dr. Lazlo (Maxillofacial Diagnostician and Pathologist) from now on.

Haha, as a lurker of this forum, I do value your opinion greatly as you do seem to bring a wealth of knowledge here, thank you for that, Dr. Lazlo. ;)

I'm not entirely sure where to get a ceph done. When I consult with a maxfac surgeon, would I be able to have done with them? Or should I see an orthodontist about it?

I've been searching up on CCW rotation as that's something I've seen around here but not really grasped or understood yet.

I will avoid extractions, as you have mentioned. I'd like to not touch the upper half of my face, which I quite like and only feel that it's my jawline, bite and lower half that could really do with some help.

Thank you again.

Edit - I actually wanted your opinion on something - Since I've had previous SG done, would this need to be worked on "surgically" or "corrected" before I can have actual surgical jaw procedures done?

I'm asking since I feel I may likely be needing the chin to be worked on in some way for my profile improvement.

I would also be wondering about sleep apnea in the future. The OP mentioned he had a sliding genioplasty which makes one wonder even more about airway dimensions.

My facial profile is similar but overall more projected. I am still considering surgery for sleep alone as I think it is such a crucial overlooked key to good health and longevity.

post a ceph!

Have you thought of going to a consultation yourself with a surgeon to see if you could benefit from it? If my sleep became interrupted, I'd absolutely consider it.

I'll certainly try and get a ceph, soon as I figure out the best way to do so! Either requesting it from my consultations or maybe my dentist/orthodontist!

Thank you.

s**t, that's AFTER SG? Dude, if you don't have massive problems already consider yourself EXTREMELY lucky. You need double jaw surgery for health reasons and don't wait a decade. I was told when I was 20 that I needed jaw surgery (by a family friend even!). My parents talked me out of it but everything the dentist said would happen happened and it sucks monkey balls. Here I am a decade later with those problems and still need to do the surgery! Your only hesitation should be making sure you get the right one done. You've already had the wrong one done once, don't repeat that mistake. There's a number of surgeon names around the board here to consider but basically, anyone who's doing several jaw surgeries a week should do. We can all tell you what it's going to be, though, 13mm BSSO + LF1 + CCW rotation. As others said, your mouth might look a little too full but it should be an overall aesthetic win for you. Just prepare yourself and don't do extractions as Lazlo said.

I know, man. SG was a rookie mistake and I'll certainly not be rushing into it like I did before. I'm sorry that you went through what you did, I hope that your journey towards improving your health with jaw surgery take steps in the right direction. I will join you on that journey!

I like your call out - 13mm BSSO + LF1 + CCW. Though, I'm still unsure what CCW is, if you're willing to expand a little on that, I'd greatly appreciate it. No worries if you can't, I'll likely be researching it!

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:29:09 PM by Elyuu »

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »
CCW = counter-clockwise rotation. It'll make sense once you have a ceph but basically they're going to rotate your maxilla down. So the back will come down further than the front. That way the angle of the mandible will become less steep and, as a side bonus, you'll breath better because your sinus cavity will increase in size. Increased support behind the nose will also help. That 13mm recommendation could change, just approximate. Might be 10mm, maybe 12mm. All pretty close. The maxilla will move to match it. That's just the most they can do. Your SG may need revision. If it was just a few mm before, then it's probably perfect where it is. If your surgeon was trying to fix a weak chin, he may have been really aggressive and done something like 10mm, in which case it'll need to be reduced.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
I'll just add, picking a surgeon isn't really that complicated. There's like one body of research about what's known about jaw surgery. Some guys forget the details. Some don't keep up. Some do but they're simply out of practice, like a sculpter who hasn't practiced in a while. These problems can all be solved by finding someone who's making it a big part of their practice. Look for someone who's operating a few times a week, doing mostly jaw surgeries. There will be differences of opinion. Other than that, someone ideally close to home, cheap, personality you like, etc are factors. Studies show ideal age for a surgeon is 50 and you want 5 years of follow up ideally. You have several good options in the UK.

Tom2

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
The surgery made my breathing much better.

Sleep apnea did become a problem for me.

Also - if your overbite just can't be corrected the surgery may be the only way to fix it.

Just know what you are proposing.     I for one found it easy to talk about a 6 month recovery but am having a hard time dealing with such day by day and mushy meal by mushy meal.....  Gawd I want a hamburger....

girl

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies, I respect all your opinions and appreciate you taking the time.

I guess I should really change my Subject as I'm fairly adamant that I'll be pursuing some sort of Jaw Surgery and I'm looking for suggestions and advice on what procedures would aid my cause.

For anyone wondering, I'm in England and will be hoping to consult with Mr. Paul Johnson and Mr. Manolis Heliotis. I thought about Henri Thuau but I've heard the budget can be a little tight with him. Nonetheless, if, after seeing the first two, I don't feel confident, I will seek a third opinion.

Of course, any other suggestions, I'd love to know that are within Europe.

Thank you!

Haha, as a lurker of this forum, I do value your opinion greatly as you do seem to bring a wealth of knowledge here, thank you for that, Dr. Lazlo. ;)

I'm not entirely sure where to get a ceph done. When I consult with a maxfac surgeon, would I be able to have done with them? Or should I see an orthodontist about it?

I've been searching up on CCW rotation as that's something I've seen around here but not really grasped or understood yet.

I will avoid extractions, as you have mentioned. I'd like to not touch the upper half of my face, which I quite like and only feel that it's my jawline, bite and lower half that could really do with some help.

Thank you again.

Edit - I actually wanted your opinion on something - Since I've had previous SG done, would this need to be worked on "surgically" or "corrected" before I can have actual surgical jaw procedures done?

I'm asking since I feel I may likely be needing the chin to be worked on in some way for my profile improvement.

Have you thought of going to a consultation yourself with a surgeon to see if you could benefit from it? If my sleep became interrupted, I'd absolutely consider it.

I'll certainly try and get a ceph, soon as I figure out the best way to do so! Either requesting it from my consultations or maybe my dentist/orthodontist!

Thank you.

I know, man. SG was a rookie mistake and I'll certainly not be rushing into it like I did before. I'm sorry that you went through what you did, I hope that your journey towards improving your health with jaw surgery take steps in the right direction. I will join you on that journey!

I like your call out - 13mm BSSO + LF1 + CCW. Though, I'm still unsure what CCW is, if you're willing to expand a little on that, I'd greatly appreciate it. No worries if you can't, I'll likely be researching it!

Thank you.

f**k the central London docs, all they have going for them is location. 

Rico

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:37 AM »
it depends what you prefer. To have damaged nerves forever (relatively high risk) and little better look or just to accept this and be happy your nerves are fine.
Sometimes hypoasthesia / parasthesia / both  is more annyoing than slight imperfection on face....

your choice :)

PloskoPlus

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 05:59:38 PM »
it depends what you prefer. To have damaged nerves forever (relatively high risk) and little better look or just to accept this and be happy your nerves are fine.
Sometimes hypoasthesia / parasthesia / both  is more annyoing than slight imperfection on face....

your choice :)

He does not have an "imperfection".  He has a dentofacial deformity.  Definitely worth fixing.  You're not speaking from at the perspective of someone who has undergone jaw surgery. You're fixated on the nerve damage, which in your case was caused by overlooked trauma, but orthognathic surgery nerve damage is not like what you have.  Unless it's a total loss, most people don't notice it after a year or two.  Many don't have any perceptible nerve damage.

screwsandplates

• Private
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
I think you look very good. In my opinion, it's not worth risking a wider, more blown-out nasal base. I think you should just get a sliding genioplasty with a skilled surgeon.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 09:44:52 PM »
Hey man, until I get the surgery myself I can't really say whether the surgery is worth it or not. But don't worry, I'm going for the full blown tri-max so my knees are gonna be shaking. Now if only Dr. Sinn would hurry up and give me a friggin surgery date!

terry947

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
well he most likely has the beginning stages of sleep apnea, judging by his profile. so this alone is worth getting JS, because it usually gets worse as time goes on.

novakmali

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
hi..my face is horrible..short face syndrome, cant show my upper teeth when smiling...what kind of operation would help me and best surgeon in Italy?please HELP

[attachment deleted by admin]