Author Topic: Re: The Night Before Surgery  (Read 4194 times)

Cmonster

• Private
Re: The Night Before Surgery
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »
Maybe I can add a bit of insight since I was just there very recently... I posted about it in my blog but I was a mess in the last few weeks/days before jaw surgery. I had trouble sleeping, high anxiety, I even lost weight. I finally asked for something to calm me down the night before, and it kind of helped (I recommend you do that as well, you need your rest)
... I had cried a bit when I had to change into my hospital gown and wait but after that I was so chill that I asked to remain awake till I got in the OR as I wanted to see what it looked like inside! (Bad idea) and no I wasnt drugged at that point lol

My family that was with me, was very supportive as they knew this was something I had wanted to do for ages.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
At the moment i am even physically sick and i'm far from surgery (2/3 weeks).

I guess i'll have fun the days right before it!

cmonster, any tip? how did your surgery go? are you happy?

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 05:23:13 PM »
Stupidjaws, I know how you feel, seriously, its not easy. But you're moving forward with a surgeon you like and trust (right?) so you're in good hands, you NEED to believe it and you NEED to believe you're going to be better off for doing this. Im not saying glaze over the potential what ifs, but if you're going to do it, dont torture yourself.

I hope it went well, its hard to say because you dont know the real result till months down the line. I can say so far Im pleased that I can breathe SO much easier- breathing passage doubled, and my bite is spot on no more trouble with teeth hitting wrong or off... Also a lot of the excessive vertical length in my face is gone... The rest will show with time. Im comfortable with my decision so far, relatively content.

We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »
Stupidjaws, I know how you feel, seriously, its not easy. But you're moving forward with a surgeon you like and trust (right?) so you're in good hands, you NEED to believe it and you NEED to believe you're going to be better off for doing this. Im not saying glaze over the potential what ifs, but if you're going to do it, dont torture yourself.

I hope it went well, its hard to say because you dont know the real result till months down the line. I can say so far Im pleased that I can breathe SO much easier- breathing passage doubled, and my bite is spot on no more trouble with teeth hitting wrong or off... Also a lot of the excessive vertical length in my face is gone... The rest will show with time. Im comfortable with my decision so far, relatively content.

great to hear! i'm waiting for a new blog entry!!

i'm sure that in another month or two you will already be able to "see" more clearly

CK

• Private
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 06:02:47 PM »
Maybe I can add a bit of insight since I was just there very recently... I posted about it in my blog but I was a mess in the last few weeks/days before jaw surgery. I had trouble sleeping, high anxiety, I even lost weight. I finally asked for something to calm me down the night before, and it kind of helped (I recommend you do that as well, you need your rest)
... I had cried a bit when I had to change into my hospital gown and wait but after that I was so chill that I asked to remain awake till I got in the OR as I wanted to see what it looked like inside! (Bad idea) and no I wasnt drugged at that point lol

My family that was with me, was very supportive as they knew this was something I had wanted to do for ages.

some people forget being moved into the OR but i remember everything right up until the point where I was sedated. i tried to fight it lol and see how long i could stay awake.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:19:11 PM »
some people forget being moved into the OR but i remember everything right up until the point where I was sedated. i tried to fight it lol and see how long i could stay awake.

When did they administer the stuff to knock you out? I was told they usually did this before you go into the OR so patients dont flip lol.

CK

• Private
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 05:48:48 PM »
When did they administer the stuff to knock you out? I was told they usually did this before you go into the OR so patients dont flip lol.

in the OR. i was already mildly sedated before i went in

jawsome

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
You know I was a nervous wreck the night before and I even cried in the anaesthesia room. It was totally unnecessary. There was literally no pain and the worst thing was the nausea and they give medication for that. I lost a lot of blood and was on the brink of receiving a transfusion but that much blood loss is probably rare (they told me it was a surgery where blood loss wasn't a high risk).

It will be over before you know it.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
You know I was a nervous wreck the night before and I even cried in the anaesthesia room. It was totally unnecessary. There was literally no pain and the worst thing was the nausea and they give medication for that. I lost a lot of blood and was on the brink of receiving a transfusion but that much blood loss is probably rare (they told me it was a surgery where blood loss wasn't a high risk).

It will be over before you know it.

good to know!