Author Topic: How to correct a deep labiomental fold?  (Read 7504 times)

jaws

How to correct a deep labiomental fold?
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:12:57 PM »
Many a class II patient has a deep labiomental fold both before and after a bimax surgery. Extraction of two lower bicuspids would improve the area afaik but requires further pre-orthodontist work. What is the best way to address this problem?

Optimistic

• I am class I
Re: How to correct a deep labiomental fold?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:40:32 PM »
Before chin surgery: get surgery to remove the fat or cut the muscle that release this indention.
After chin surgery: if it's scar tissue, you should try steroid injections first.  If it doesn't work (which it should...) then do the other two things stated above.

That doesn't make much sense. How would removing fat from the labiomental fold improve its appearance? The problem is it's too DEEP, not that it's non-existent.

I have spoken with a max fac surgeon who suggested over-filling the chin and lengthening it downwards as a means of improving the fold. I'll speak with a plastic surgeon later this month to discuss the viability of fat grafting or filler.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

jaws

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
According to Triaca, chin visor (not chin wing) osteotomy can improve the labiomental fold among other procedures.

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:26 PM »
I had a deep one after my chin implant.  I got filler (the thickest hyaluaronic acid type) placed deep and it looks much better.  They used 1ml

HA paste could also work, don't see why not

horsewithnoname

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
Maybe an "anterior segmental mandibular subapical osteotomy" surgery could help. I have a *very* deep labiomental crease and I will probably have this surgery, along with a chin reduction and anterior segmental maxillary osteotomy. The downside is that it requires extractions, but the angle between the alveolar bone and chin should decrease if you reduce the proclination of the teeth.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
I am currently having wilckodontics(corticotomy) and the alveolar bone is going to produce more mass which will make the labiomental fold less deep. To what extent I don't know yet but that's what I was told.